In both concerts and recordings, Fliter has demonstrated a particularly deep affinity for the music of Chopin. "His music," she notes, "is like looking into a kaleidoscope of human life...He creates a whole world in each little piece." Her second all-Chopin album for EMI Classics is a collection of all of the Polish composer's Waltzes.
Reviewing the new album, London's Guardian called her "a Chopin interpreter of immense refinement and imagination. These are beautifully conceived performances, full of crisp, original detail, and sparklingly articulated."
1. A few works of classical music that you adore:
Some are: Schumann Fairy Tales Op. 132; Mahler Third Symphony; Mozart CosÐ fan tutte; Bach Matthew Passion; Schubert Die sch‹ne M‹llerin.
2. Classical music recordings that you treasure:
Some are: Schumann Dichterliebe with Fisher Dieskau; Beethoven Late String Quartets with Tokyo String Quartet; Mahler Symphonies with Leonard Bernstein.
3. Favorite non-classical musicians and/or recordings:
Piazzolla; Gardel; Queen; Sting, Bobby Mc. Ferrin,
4. Music that makes you cry _ any genre:
The last one was the third piece in Schumann's Fairy Tales.
5. Definitely underrated work(s) or composer (s):
6. Possibly overrated work(s) or composer (s):
7. Live music performance (s) you attended _ any genre _ that you'll never forget:
Among others, Brendel's piano recital in New York
8. A few relatively recent films you love:
Seven Pounds; Vicky Cristina Barcelona; Gran Torino.
9. A few films you consider classics:
Amarcord; La Dolce Vita; Matrimonio alla Italiana; Solaris; Amadeus...and Back to the Future!
10. A book (or two) that is important to you (and why):
Among others, Narcissus and Goldmund and Siddharta by Hermann Hesse; The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera; Doctor Faustus by Thomas Mann _ all of these are revealing and deeply touching to me.
11. Thing(s) about yourself that you're most proud of:
12. Thing(s) about yourself that you're embarrassed by:
Embarrassing to tell...
13. Three things you can't live without:
Oxygen, Nature and Skype (and hair dryer!)
14. "When I want to get away from it all I..."
Try to go to the mountains and walk or ride a bike
15. "People are surprised to find out that I..."
Wanted to be a hairdresser
16. "My favorite cities are..."
Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Como Lake area, Venice
17. "I have a secret crush on..."
It's a secret!
18. "My most obvious guilty pleasure is..."
19. "I'd really love to meet..."
20. "I never understood why..."
21. Question you wish someone would ask you (and the answer to that question):
Q: Do you know you have just won the Gilmore Award?? (It actually happened!!)
A: Is this a joke??!!
For more news and complete performance schedule visit www.ingridfliter.com
Past installments of 20 (PLUS) QUESTIONS:
Albert Imperato, a music promoter who co-founded 21C Media Group in January 2000, writes frequently about the arts for various publications and blogs.
His new series, 20 (PLUS) QUESTIONS, is his take on (and nod to) Vanity Fair's "Proust Questionnaire."