Titled "A Chorus Line—40th Anniversary Celebration," the recording introduces a new high-resolution (24/96) master of the original cast recording, taken from the surround-sound remix created for Super Audio CD (SACD) and previously available only in that format.
Bonus tracks include recordings made during the show's workshop period, and feature composer Marvin Hamlisch and lyricist Ed Kleban performing demos of their first drafts of the score for director Michael Bennett. In some cases the songs were later cut, includine "Joanne," "Shoes," and "It's All in Here." In some cases, the tracks include early versions of songs "I Can Do That" and "At the Ballet." Among the bonus tracks is an instrumental titled "Finale Ballad" which Hamlisch scat-sings. With lyrics added later, it became "What I Did For Love."
Here is a clip of Marvin Hamlisch playing the demo for "I Can Do That," with an early version of the lyric the follows the dance break:
The package includes an expanded booklet with new liner notes by Oskar Eustis (artistic director of The Public Theater in New York), Terre Blair Hamlisch, Linda Kline (co-bookwriter of A Class Act) and Robert Viagas (managing editor of Playbill.com and co-author of the book "On the Line: The Creation of A Chorus Line").
A perennial best-seller and 1975 Grammy nominee for Best Musical Show Recording, A Chorus Line was also the last of the great original cast albums produced by Columbia Records’ Goddard Lieberson, producer of dozens of classic OBCs including West Side Story.
Here is a complete track list:
1. Opening: "I Hope I Get It" - Company
2. "I Can Do That" - Wayne Cilento
3. "At The Ballet" - Carole Bishop, Nancy Lane, Kay Cole
4. "Sing!" - Renee Baughman, Don Percassi
5. "Montage, Part 1: Hello Twelve, Hello Thirteen, Hello Love" - Company (with restored material featuring Cameron Mason and Baayork Lee)
6. "Montage, Part 2: Mother" - Ron Kuhlman, Patricia Garland
7. "Montage, Part 3: Gimme The Ball" - Michel Stuart, Ronald Dennis
8. "Nothing" - Priscilla Lopez
9. "Dance: Ten; Looks: Three" - Pamela Blair
10. "The Music And The Mirror" - Donna McKechnie
11. "One" - Company
12. "What I Did For Love" - Priscilla Lopez, Company
13. "One" (reprise)/"Finale" - Company
Marvin Hamlisch, piano, vocals
Ed Kleban, vocals
14. "It’s All In Here"
15. "I Can Do That"
16. "At The Ballet"
21. "Finale Ballad" ("What I Did For Love")