"I have every hope, intention and expectation that I will be continuing on with Wintertime as planned at Second Stage as well as joining Assassins," the busy artist told Playbill On-Line.
The Feb. 3-March 28 run of the Charles Mee play proposes some problems for Cerveris regarding the announced March start date for the Stephen Sondheim-John Weidman tuner. Cerveris said of the scheduling conflict, "Lots of dates and options are being floated around at the moment... It may mean an extremely busy new year for me, but what a great reason to be exhausted."
Cerveris, recently seen Off-Broadway in Fifth of July, earned a Tony Award nomination for his Broadway debut as the title role in The Who's Tommy. He has also appeared in Titanic on Broadway as well as the title role in Off Broadway's Hedwig and the Angry Inch.
Mee's Wintertime follows a man who is about to propose at a secluded snowbound house when he finds that his mother and her lover already occupy the cabin. As if that was not enough, the father then shows up with his boyfriend.
Assassins, which debuted at Off-Broadway's Playwrights Horizons in 1990, centers on nine presidential assassins and would-be assassins. Cerveris has been reportedly slated to play John Wilkes Booth — a role that was to be played by Douglas Sills (Little Shop of Horrors) when the production was set to open on Broadway in 2001, before being canceled in the wake of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. *
As previously reported by PBOL, actor-comedian Mario Cantone, currently starring on Broadway in The Violet Hour, is set to star in Assassins, playing would-be Nixon killer Samuel Byck. Raúl Esparza, who is in the new musical Taboo, meanwhile, has said he would also like to be part of the cast. He was originally scheduled to play failed FDR assassin Giuseppe Zangara.
Librettist John Weidman told Playbill On-Line (Oct. 2003) "I'm happy to say that, as of the last conversation I had with Joe [Mantello], many of the key people, the crucial people — Neil Patrick Harris, for example — are available."