The recording was made during concerts given in last winter's CMS festival called "English Musical Renaissance, 1900-1930." Performing are pianist Wu Han (the Society's co-artistic director), violinists Ani Kavafian and Arnaud Sussman, violist Paul Neubauer and cellist Fred Sherry.
The release of the new recording this week coincides with a CMS tour of western Canada and California:
- Nov. 5: Calgary _ Calgary Pro Musica
- Nov. 6: Vancouver _ Vancouver Friends of Chamber Music
- Nov. 8: Santa Barbara _ UCSB Chamber Music in Historic Places
- Nov. 10: La Jolla _ La Jolla Music Society
- Nov. 11: Beverly Hills _ Ace Gallery
- Nov. 13: Costa Mesa _ Orange County Performing Arts Center
The repertoire for the tour includes both of the quartets on the disc as well as John Ireland's song cycle The Land of Lost Content and selections from Ralph Vaughan Williams's Songs of Travel, both sung by tenor Russell Thomas. A tour next March featuring similar repertoire will cover cities in New York state, Iowa, Kentucky and Ohio.
The new CD is available for purchase at the CMS website, www.ChamberMusicSociety.org, and at all Society events.