Chicago Musical Theatre Works, the Windy City collective that promotes resident musical theatre writers and shows, presents its second annual new works showcase, My Kind of Tune: Chicago Writers Sing Out, June 10.
The cabaret evening showcases material from 14 new and developing musicals by Chicago-based teams. This showcase marks the first cooperative effort for The Works with Chicago Musical Theatre Project, a company of musical theatre performers dedicated to encouraging new material, and Chicago Cabaret Professionals, the association for cabaret artists.
The featured musicals are:
- ...And Now Miguel by Will Graveman and Jim Hughes
- Brothers of the Air, a musical about the Wright brothers by Doug Frew, Patti McKenny and Daniel Sticco
- Crazy Mary by Jan Tranen And Jay Schwandt
- Crossroads by Mark Burrows and Katie E. Nye
- Frozen River, a take on the Lizzie Borden story by Danny Musha and Steve Wallem
- Girl in the 'Hood by Susan DiLallo, Lita Grier and Roger Griffin
- Me and Al by Donald Abramson, Judy Freed and Leo Schwartz
- Pinocchio by Susan DiLallo and Jeffrey Harris
- Prairie Lights by Rosalie Gerut, Susan Lieberman And David Rush
- River's End Cheri Coons and Chuck Larkin
- St. Peter's Umbrella by Denise Wright and David Hudson
- Sleepy Hollow by Elizabeth Doyle, Judy Freed And Owen Kalt
- Vagabond Kings by John Drwal and Roger Griffin
- And the Virginian by Donald Abramson, Elizabeth Doyle and Owen Kalt
Chicago Musical Theatre Works bills itself as "a group of creators, producers, directors, performers and interested friends of musical theatre who've banded together under the motto 'It takes a village to raise a curtain.'" Among their initiatives and goals are a regular reading series for new work; panels, discussions, and master classes; an educational outreach program; and a major new works festival.
The Works is the Chicago chapter of an international organization, Musical Makers, which is an internet based networking and information group in the process of building a website for musical theatre creators and producers.
The performers will include Guy Adkins, Paul Alessandro, Jodi Jean Amble, Cheryl Avery, Sean Blake, Lili-Anne Brown, Jill VanBrussel, Jeanne Croft, Sara Davis, Jeff Dumas, Joseph Anthony Foronda, Tony Gibson, Michael Halberstam, Susan Hart, Sarah Hayes, Michael Herschberg, Steve Hinger, Kathryn Jaeck, Sean Allan Krill, Susan McMonagle, Linda Rios, Carolyn Shoemaker, Daniel Tatar, Kat Taylor, Nancy Voigts, Jonathan Weir and Larry Yando.
My Kind of Tune will be heard 8 PM June 10 at the Royal George Theatre, 1641 N. Halsted. Tickets are $20, or $10 with a valid student ID. The proceeds will benefit Season of Concern. To reserve a seat, call (312) 988-9000.
— By Kenneth Jones