Who said Kids Night had to be just a New York phenomenon? Not only are touring shows around the country also honoring the January discount promotion, (see the news story, "Broadway 'Kids Nights' Planned Nationwide for 1998"), Chicago will be staging its own "Kids Week," March 1-8, 1998. The theatrical promotion is being held in conjunction with National Kids Week in such other cities as Los Angeles, Boston and Atlanta.
Most exciting is the Feb. 28, 1998 "Theatre Sampler," with 40 theatre companies scheduled to participate. According to the League of Chicago Theatres' Nov./Dec. 1997 newsletter, events on the drawing board include:
* Mask-making with Lucid Theatre
* Career day at the Goodman Theatre
* A puppet Romeo & Juliet with Inclusive Theatre
* Casting workshop or dance class with Rent dance captain
* Tour of historic Chicago with the cast of Tommy Gun's Garage
* How to catch things in your mouth -- courtesy of Blue Man Group
* Improv games with Comedy Sportz.
Brochures for the Sampler are expected to reach Chicago streets by early February.
-- By David Lefkowitz