Schlundt joined the faculty of UC Riverside in 1953 as an assistant professor in the department of physical education. By the mid-1960s she was chair of the department, and had designed the university's first dance class.
In 1972, Schlundt began one of many terms as chair of the school's department of dance. She established the nation's first masters program in dance history in 1982, and the country's first Ph.D. program nearly a decade later. Schlundt retired from the university in 1991, but remained active on campus.