Submissions will be accepted through Dec. 15. SPF is accepting submissions through agents, as well as the first 500 unsolicited scripts.
The 2006 event will run from July 5-30.
The eligibility requirements for the Summer Play Festival for both plays and musicals are as follows:
*Submissions must be made through the SPF website at: www.spfnyc.com
* Scripts should be no less than 45 pages.
* Scripts will only be accepted in the following formats: doc pdf rtf fdr.
* No one-person shows.
* The website will only accept one attachment per application including cover page and multiple acts. (no separate cover pages or separate act attachments)
* For scripts with no cover page, please include the title and playwright's name on the header of each page.
* Please make sure each script includes page numbers.
* Translations will not be accepted.
*Adaptations will not be accepted.
Additional Information for musical submissions: *Please keep musical casts under 10 characters.
*Applications require a script attached via the website application. Musical scores are not required.
*Applications require a CD (and CD only) of recorded selections from the musical. CDs can be mailed to:
PO BOX 778
New York, NY 10108
You are not eligible to submit if any of the following apply:
*The play you are submitting has had an Equity showcase in the past year or if you are planning one year from the 2006 Summer Play Festival to produce an Equity showcase.
*If you have had a play produced in a New York City theatre with more than 99 seats.
* If you are a writer who has participated in past Summer Play Festivals.
The festival is the brainchild of producer Arielle Tepper. The festival covers production costs of all the shows, making it a much cushier environment for artists than, say, the New York International Fringe Festival, in which participants pay a nonrefundable $500 fee and pay for all aspects of mounting the show, save renting a space. Additionally, the festival held no rights to the shows at any times.
The 2005 affair ran July 5-31.