The long-running solo Broadway comedy show Rob Becker's Defending the Caveman will close Jan. 4, 1997 and embark on a 15-city U.S. tour.
The closing was anticipated since July, when the tour was announced.
Even with a reduced schedule of six performances a week, the show will have played 26 previews and 545 performances at the Helen Hayes Theatre -- a record for a non-musical solo show.
Stand-up comedian Becker's ruminations about the differences between men (hunters) and women (gatherers), have drawn a strong word-of-mouth audience at Broadway's Helen Hayes Theatre, also is the longest-running comedy currently on Broadway.
Here are the tour dates announced so far: * Miami, FL: Jackie Gleason Theatre, Jan. 14-19
* Fort Lauderdale, FL: Parker Playhouse, Jan. 21-26.
* Tampa Bay, FL: Playhouse, Jan. 28 - Feb. 2.
* Baltimore, MD: Lyric Theatre, Feb. 3-9
* Washington DC: Warner Theatre, Feb. 11-23
* Norfolk, VA: Chrysler Hall, Feb. 25-March 2
* Denver: Auditorium Theater, March 4 - 29.
* Cupertino, CA: Flint Center, March 31-April 5
* Columbus, OH: Palace Theater April 22-27.
-- By Robert Viagas and Andrew Ku