Broadway continues its love story to New York City with "Broadway Under the Stars," June 10 at 8 PM in Bryant Park. Among the names announced are Katie Finneran, Linda Eder, Savion Glover, Norbert Leo Butz, Marin Mazzie, Karen Ziemba, James Gandolfini, Donna Murphy, Jane Krakowski, Lillias White, LaChanze, Bill Burns, Cydney Arther, John Pizzarelli and Jessica Molaskey. More names including some surprise guests will be added according to League spokesperson Patty Haubner
Kicking off not only the Bryant Park's, but the entire city's free concert season, the "curtain-raiser" event will be sponsored by AOL Time Warner and produced by the League of American Theatres and Producers with NYC&CO. Director Scott Ellis (The Man Who Had All the Luck) will helm the concert which will feature "iconic New York stars doing performances, Broadway stars singing songs" under the "romance in New York" theme.
Among the songs scheduled to be performed live (subject to change) are "New York, New York," "City Lights," "I Happen to Like New York," "How About You," "If I Had My Way," "I'll Be Seeing You," "On Broadway," "Another Hundred People" and "Take Me Back to Manhattan." The rain date is June 11.
The event will also feature video montages of romantic moments filmed in NY and from NY movies underscored with Broadway overtures — including On The Town, Crazy For You, Gypsy and others — by a 35-piece orchestra. Haubner explained "If you love New York, if you love Broadway, if you love movies, if you love one or all, you'll enjoy the concert."
* Broadway is moving into Bryant Park for the summer as three separate events will highlight some of The Great White Way's brightest and best. With "Broadway Under the Stars," "Broadway in Bryant Park" and some classic moviemusicals in "HBO Bryant Park Summer Film Festival," Broadway's Theatre District will extend about one block east between 42nd and 43rd Streets.
Performing Thursday middays June 27-Aug. 15 will be — the series that has become a tradition — "Broadway in Bryant Park." Presented this year by local radio station 106.7 LITE FM, the event which features excerpts from some of the current and upcoming Broadway and Off-Broadway musicals. This year's participants — performing at the park from 12:30PM - 2PM — include:(all subject to change)
- Lion King and Harlem Song - June 27
- Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables and Oklahoma! - July 11
- Beauty and the Beast, The Prince and The Pauper and Thoroughly Modern Millie - July 18
- Hairspray and Mamma Mia! - July 25
- Rent, The Donkey Show and Love, Janis - Aug 1
- Aida and Dance Of The Vampires - Aug 8
- Chicago, Cabaret and The Full Monty - Aug 15
HBO's "Bryant Park Summer Film Festival" will play Monday nights, June 17-Aug. 19 at dusk (usually between 8PM-9PM). The lawn opens at 5:00 pm for blankets and picnicking, but no plastic sheets, tarps or bicycles are permitted. Among the many classic films being presented are the series opener "On The Town" June 17 — MGM's moviemusical starring Frank Sinatra and Gene Kelly; The Producers creator Mel Brooks' "Young Frankenstein" shown July 22; and closing out the season Aug. 19 will be the movie version of the musical "Bye Bye, Birdie."
For information on all events at Bryant Park, or The Great Green Way, visit www.bryantpark.org.