The celebration will include the world premiere of Lowell Liebermann's opera Miss Lonelyhearts, based on the novel by Nathanael West, in April 2006. In September 2005, the school's entire dance division will perform Eliot Feld's new 60-minute dance piece Drumming, set to Steve Reich's landmark 1971 work.
Students from Juilliard's music, dance, and drama divisions will tour to Chicago, Dallas, Los Angeles, and Washington, D.C. In addition, the Juilliard Orchestra will travel to Switerzland and the UK; the three-year-old Juilliard Jazz Orchestra will perform in Costa Rica.
The celebration begins at the school's commencement ceremony on May 20, 2005, when the school will honor a group of "centennial honorees" drawn from previous classes of honorary doctorates, and ends with the 2006 commencement a year later.
PBS's Live From Lincoln Center will broadcast a gala marking the centennial in April 2006. The concert will feature Emanuel Ax, Ren_e Fleming, Leontyne Price, and the Juilliard String Quartet.
In addition to Liebermann's opera, the music division will premiere commissioned pieces by Ezequiel Viê±ao, Einojuhani Rautavaara, Marvin Hamlisch, Thomas Pasatieri, John Williams, and Joan Tower, among others. Six world premieres, including new works by Roberto Sierra and Milton Babbitt, will be heard at the annual FOCUS! Festival in January and February 2006.
Several of the dance division's world premiere commissions will be presented at the New Dances/New Music festival in February 2006, including a new work by Adam Hougland set to new music by Christopher Rouse. The Juilliard Dance Ensemble will also perform the Hougland/Rouse work in Chicago and Los Angeles, alongside works by Mark Morris and William Forsythe.
In October 2005, the drama division will premiere a new play by Craig Lucas, tentatively titled The Registry of Light, with new songs by composer Michael Torke.
The Juilliard School was founded in 1905 as the Institute of Musical Art, and merged with the two-year-old Juilliard Graduate School in 1926. Dance was added to the curriculum in 1951, and drama in 1968. The school moved to its current Lincoln Center location in 1969.