In October 2005, the center's board decided that it would break ground in fall 2006 if it succeeded in raising $45 million, approximately half of the funds that still needed to be raised for the $326 million project, by February 1. Only $25 million has been raised since.
Organizers now plan to delay the decision on breaking ground until an April board meeting. By then, some additional pledges are expected.
The February 1 deadline was "an important goal," said fundraiser Jan Kreamer, not "an ultimatum."
Meanwhile, project manager Ken Dworak told the Star that the design of one of the center's two halls had been altered. The auditorium that will host opera and ballet performances has grown from 1,600 seats to 1,800 seats; the symphonic hall remains at 1,600 seats.