London Performing-Arts Organizations Report Mostly Steady Attendance After Terrorist Attacks

Classic Arts News   London Performing-Arts Organizations Report Mostly Steady Attendance After Terrorist Attacks
 
Performing-arts organizations in London are reporting varied impacts on ticket sales and attendance after the terrorist attacks on July 7 and the aborted attack on July 21, the London Guardian reports.

The Royal Opera House, according to Chris Millard, director of publicity, has not felt the effects of the attacks in terms of ticket sales, because the season books so far in advance. Attendance does not seem to have been affected either. "Theoretically," Millard told the Guardian, people who have booked might let us know that they are no longer coming, but we haven't experienced that."

Millard said that one thing that has been affected by the attacks is security at Covent Garden, which has been heightened.

At Sadler's Wells, according to marketing director Kingsley Jayasekera, ticket sales are down, but they were down before July 7. In fact, Jayasekera said, a recent performance of a collaborative work by choreographer Akram Khan and artist Antony Gormley, sold to a near-full house and half of those tickets were sold after July 7.

The BBC Proms concerts are sold out, but director Nicholas Kenyon has noticed a decrease in last-minute sales. "Casual seat sales tend to go to people from out of London," Kenyon said, "and we're perceiving a reluctance on the part of that audience to come into the capital and perhaps to travel on its public transport."

Theater venues were hit hardest of all with shows canceled in West End theaters, causing a loss of about Ô£1.2 million. The Globe canceled two performances, "the first-ever cancellations at the Globe," according to chief executive Peter Kyle, to a loss of about Ô£400,000.

Today’s Most Popular News: