MCC Cancels Production of LaBute's Break of Noon

News   MCC Cancels Production of LaBute's Break of Noon Neil LaBute's The Break of Noon, which MCC Theater was originally scheduled to present Jan. 14-Feb. 28, 2009, Off-Broadway, was previously rescheduled for September 2009 so that the production would not detract from the Broadway debut of LaBute's recently closed Reasons to Be Pretty.
Neil LaBute
Neil LaBute Photo by Aubrey Reuben

The Los Angeles Times reports that MCC Theater has decided not to present the play this fall after all. A representative for the playwright told the L.A. paper that there is also question as to whether LaBute will remain the Off-Broadway company's playwright-in-residence.

During the past seven years, MCC Theater has presented several LaBute works, including In a Dark Dark House, Some Girl(s), Fat Pig, The Distance from Here and The Mercy Seat.

When reached by the Times, an MCC spokesperson had no comment about the cancellation of the LaBute work. LaBute, however, explained that his commitments to his recent movie projects as well as the Broadway production of Reasons had prevented him from completing another draft of Break of Noon. LaBute's theatrical agent also said that Break of Noon will now make its world premiere overseas. Jo Bonney will direct the production at a venue to be announced.

Break of Noon, according to the L.A. Times, "tells the story of one man's religious epiphany after he survives an office shooting."

LaBute said there is no ill will between him and MCC Theater. "It was a scheduling thing," said the playwright. "Economically it's a tough go for a lot of theatres."

As previously reported, MCC will present three plays at the Lucille Lortel Theatre this season: Alexander Dinelaris' Still Life, Alexi Kaye Campbell's The Pride and Beth Henley's Family Week.

For more information visit mcctheater.org.

Today’s Most Popular News: