Met Cancels MetTalk for Controversial Opera The Death of Klinghoffer

News   Met Cancels MetTalk for Controversial Opera The Death of Klinghoffer
 
The Metropolitan Opera has canceled its scheduled talk for the The Death of Klinghoffer, the controversial opera protested in September.

The event, which had been scheduled for Oct. 15, would have featured directors and stars of the production of John Adams' work, which is scheduled for eight performances in October and November.

In an e-mail sent to patrons who RSVPd for the talk, the Met wrote, "We regret to inform you that, because of a scheduling conflict, the MetTalk for The Death of Klinghoffer, planned for October 15, has had to be cancelled. There are four additional MetTalks throughout the season. For a full schedule, visit metopera.org/mettalks. We appreciate your understanding. Thank you, The Metropolitan Opera."

The opera depicts the 1985 hijacking of the Achille Lauro cruise ship and the murder of a Jewish passenger, Leon Klinghoffer, by Palestinian terrorists.

A live broadcast of the opera was canceled in June, amid concerns that the broadcast could fan anti-Semitism. The decision followed discussions between Peter Gelb, the Met's general manager, and the Anti-Defamation League, which represented the concerns of Leon Klinghoffer's daughters, Lisa and Ilsa Klinghoffer. The Met agreed to include a message from the daughters in its Playbill and on its website during the production.

In a statement posted at the time on the Anti-Defamation League's website, the Klinghoffers said the opera romanticized the murder of their father. "We believe that theater and music can play a critical role in examining and understanding significant world events," they said. "The Death of Klinghoffer does no such thing." Visit MetOpera.org for more information.

Today’s Most Popular News: