Minnelli on Minnelli co-producer Stewart F. Lane says that plans are afoot to take Liza Minnelli on tour as early as March. Minnelli's limited engagement at the Palace closes Jan. 2. The Minnelli show would tour to such key cities as Chicago, San Diego, San Francisco, Boston, Miami and Detroit, Lane told Playbill On-Line.
"Right now the plan is to cut a CD starting in mid-January," Lane said. "Then we'd go back to rehearsals in February and re-tool before re-opening in March." Lane said he was not sure where the 15-city tour would actually begin.
"Our best reviews came from out of town," Lane said, "I think it's going to be a big tour."
Excellent New York City reviews of Minnelli on Minnelli were considered essential to any extension of Minnelli's Broadway run, but with the best reviews coming from outside the city, Lane and co-producer Radio City Entertainment are focusing on a tour.
Lane said that the members of Minnelli's all-male chorus have expressed interest in touring. Two dates, Dec. 27 and Jan. 2, have already been added to the original Minnelli show schedule, but, Lance said, the idea reported last week of extending the run at the Gershwin is no longer being entertained.