The Harold and Mimi Steinberg Charitable Trust announced July 12 that the Ninth Annual “Mimi” Awards, which honor “outstanding artistry and accomplishments” of American playwrights, will be presented November 14 at Lincoln Center Theater.
The Harold and Mimi Steinberg Charitable Trust will celebrate one playwright with the Steinberg Distinguished Playwright Award—presented biennially to “honor and encourage the artistic excellence and achievement of an American playwright whose body of work has made significant contributions to the American theatre”—at this year’s ceremony. The recipient of the Steinberg Distinguished Playwright Award, who will be announced in September, receives a cash award of $200,000.
The Steinberg Playwright Award and the Steinberg Distinguished Playwright Award are presented in alternate years. Past recipients include:
· Branden Jacobs-Jenkins and Dominique Morisseau, Steinberg Playwright Awards, 2015
· Stephen Adly Guirgis, Steinberg Distinguished Playwright Award, 2014
· Annie Baker and Rajiv Joseph, Steinberg Playwright Awards, 2013
· David Henry Hwang, Steinberg Distinguished Playwright Award, 2012
· Lisa D’Amour and Melissa James Gibson, Steinberg Playwright Awards, 2011
· Lynn Nottage, Steinberg Distinguished Playwright Award, 2010
· David Adjmi, Tarell Alvin McCraney and Bruce Norris, Steinberg Playwright Awards, 2009
· Tony Kushner, Steinberg Distinguished Playwright Award, 2008
Playwrights receive a monetary award along with “The Mimi,” a statuette designed by David Rockwell, architect and Tony Award-winning scenic designer.
The 2016 Advisory Committee comprises Paige Evans, Artistic Director, Signature Theatre Company; Lynne Meadow, Artistic Director, Manhattan Theatre Club; Carole Rothman, Artistic Director, Second Stage Theatre; Molly Smith, Artistic Director, Arena Stage; Kent Thompson, Artistic Director, Denver Center Theatre Company; Les Waters, Artistic Director, Actors Theatre of Louisville; and Chay Yew, Artistic Director, Victory Gardens Theater.
The Board of Directors of The Harold and Mimi Steinberg Charitable Trust is made up of Carole A. Krumland, James D. Steinberg, Michael A. Steinberg, Seth M. Weingarten and William D. Zabel.