Bring in 'Da Noise, Bring in 'Da Funk will kick off its national tour with a Sept. 18 dance and autograph event at a midtown New York dancewear store.
Current Broadway cast members Marshall L. Davis, Dule Hill, Joseph Webb, Jason Samuels and Baakari Wilder will offer some sample choreography from the show at Capezio Dance-Theatre Shop at 1650 Broadway (at 51st St), Sept. 18, 4 PM-6 PM.
From 4-5 PM, the performers will sign posters t-shirts and programs. (Any purchase from the Noise/Funk collection at the store will be autographed.) Then they'll do tap improvisations and challenge customers who bring their tap shoes. Ending the event will be a "tap-off," with the winner taking home a pair of Capezio K360's tap shoes.
The first stop on the tour is Detroit's Fisher Theatre, Sept. 30. The show, winner of four Tony Awards, has scheduled tour dates through July 1998.
Noise/Funk's creators, choreographer Savion Glover and director George C. Wolfe, will recreate their staging for the tour. Glover also starred in the Broadway show but will not in the tour; his role will be played by Derrik K. Grant, a Noise/Funk cast member on Broadway. Vicki Lyn Reynolds has the Anne Duquesnay singing role. Here are the known dates of the Noise/Funk tour, as of May 29, 1997:
* Sept. 30 - Nov. 2: Detroit; Fisher Theatre.
* Nov. 4-30: Washington DC; National Theatre.
* Dec. 2-14: New Haven, CT; Shubert PAC.
* Jan. 6-25: Denver; Buell Theatre.
* Jan. 27 - Feb. 1: Sacramento, CA; Community Center Theatre.
* Feb. 3-15: Seattle; Paramount Theatre.
* Feb. 17 - Mar. 1: Portland, OR; Portland Center for the Performing Arts.
* Mar. 4 - Apr. 26: Los Angeles; Ahmanson Theatre.
* Apr. 28 - May 24: Boston; Shubert Theatre.
* May 26 - June 14: Philadelphia; Forrest Theatre.
* June 16 - July 12: Chicago; Shubert Theatre.
* July 14 - 26: Dallas; Music Hall.
Noise/Funk will continue touring after July 26, 1998, but those dates have not been released.