Here are some of the major people and shows NOT nominated for the 1998 Tony Awards:
* These shows received no nominations: Wait Until Dark, Jackie, The Herbal Bed, The Judas Kiss, The Deep Blue Sea, Proposals, Street Corner Symphony, The Sunshine Boys and The Old Neighborhood.
* Susan Birkenhead, who supplied lyrics for Triumph of Love and High Society was passed over for both shows.
* James Lapine directed two plays on Broadway this season: Golden Child and The Diary of Anne Frank. He was nominated for neither.
* Pulitzer-winner Neil Simon had two shows on Broadway this year: the new Proposals and the revival of Sunshine Boys. Neither received a single nomination. * Another Pulitzer-winner, David Mamet, got no nomination for The Old Neighborhood, which has been described as his most personal play.
* High Society supporting players John McMartin and Anna Kendrick were nominated, but leading lady Melissa Errico was not. She has good company: composer Cole Porter and librettist Arthur Kopit were not nominated. Errico and the cast were performing on "The Today Show" as the nominations were announced.
* Margaret Colin, who played Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis in Jackie was not nominated.
* Marc Anthony, Ruben Blades and Ednita Nazario drew a new audience to Broadway, but the Tony committee was unimpressed. None of the three was nominated.
* The Sound of Music revival is built around star Rebecca Luker, but she was not nominated.
* Among the all-star ensemble of The Diary of Anne Frank only Linda Lavin was nominated. Among those passed over: Natalie Portman, George Hearn and director James Lapine.
* Patti LuPone's dramatic role in The Old Neighborhood was skipped.
* The Wait Until Dark's snub means no nominations for Marisa Tomei or Quentin Tarantino.
* The Sunshine Boys blank means no nomination for Tony Randall or Jack Klugman.
-- By Robert Viagas