Privates On Parade was written by Peter Nichols with music by Denis King. The musical comedy, according to press notes, "focuses on the activities and exploits of the fictional Song And Dance Unit South East Asia (SADUSEA) who are stationed in Singapore and Malaysia during the late 1940s."
The production was first staged by the RSC (starring Denis Quilley and Nigel Hawthorne) at Stratford before transferring to London’s Aldwych Theatre in February 1977; it went on to win the 1977 Laurence Olivier Award for Comedy Of The Year. The production was also honored at the 1977 Ivor Novello Awards as Best Musical. The production later transferred to the Piccadilly Theatre in 1978, before debuting in the United States in 1979.
The cast album, recorded in January 1978, has been digitally remastered from the original master tapes.
The complete track listing follows:
1. OVERTURE - Orchestra
2. S.A.D.U.S.E.A. - The Company
3. THE MOVIE TO END THEM ALL - Ben Cross, Ian Gelder, Denis Quilley
4. THE LITTLE THINGS WE USED TO DO - Denis Quilley
5. BLACK VELVET - Simon Jones, Joe Melia, Tim Wylton, Neil McCaul
6. BETTER FAR THAN SITTING THIS LIFE OUT - Ian Gelder, Emma Williams
7. THE PRINCE OF PEACE - Nigel Hawthorne
8. COULD YOU PLEASE INFORM US - Denis Quilley
9. PRIVATES ON PARADE - The Company
10. THE LATIN AMERICAN WAY - Denis Quilley
11. SUNNYSIDE LANE - Joe Melia, Tim Wylton
12. SUNNYSIDE LANE (REPRISE) - The Company
13. PLAY OFF - Orchestra For more information visit www.stagedoorrecords.com.