The ceremony — at the Gershwin Theatre (222 W. 51st Street) — will be followed by dinner at the famed Sardi's Restaurant on West 44th Street. The 2002 inductees include actors Stockard Channing, Tammy Grimes, Frank Langella and Jean Stapleton; playwrights Larry Gelbart and David Mamet; producer Bernard Gersten; and scenic designer John Lee Beatty.
A Tony Award winner for her work in Evita, Patti LuPone also earned an Olivier Award for her performances in the West End productions of Lés Misérables and The Cradle Will Rock. Her other theatrical credits include Sunset Boulevard, Anything Goes, Oliver!, Working, The Old Neighborhood, Master Class and the City Center Encores! production of Pal Joey. LuPone also headlined two solo concerts, Patti LuPone On Broadway and Matters of the Heart, and received glowing notices for her performance as Mrs. Lovett in the Lincoln Center concert version of Stephen Sondheim's Sweeney Todd. Also a star of television and film, her screen credits boast "Life Goes On," "Frasier," "Driving Miss Daisy," "Witness," "The Water Engine," "State and Main" and "Monday Night Mayhem."
To be eligible for induction into the Theatre Hall of Fame, artists must have “25 years on Broadway or in American Theatre and five major credits.” The Theatre Hall of Fame was founded in 1971 by Earl Blackwell, James M. Nederlander and Arnold Weissberger.
Broadway credits for each of the inductees follow: • Stockard Channing, actor: Two Gentlemen of Verona, No Hard Feelings, They're Playing Our Song, The Rink, The Golden Age, Joe Egg, The House of Blue Leaves, Love Letters, Six Degrees of Separation, Four Baboons Adoring the Sun, The Little Foxes and The Lion in Winter
• Tammy Grimes, actor: Look After Lulu, The Unsinkable Molly Brown, Rattle of a Simple Man, High Spirits, The Only Game in Town, Private Lives, A Musical Jubilee, California Suite, Tartuffe, Trick, 42nd Street and Orpheus Descending
• Frank Langella, actor: Yerma, A Cry of Players, Seascape, Dracula, Amadeus, Passion, Design for Living, Hurlyburly, Sherlock's Last Case, The Father, Present Laughter, Fortune's Fool; director: Passione
• Jean Stapleton, actor: In the Summer House, Damn Yankees, Bells Are Ringing, Juno, Rhinoceros, Funny Girl and Arsenic and Old Lace
• Larry Gelbart, writer: books for The Conquering Hero, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum and City of Angels; plays Sly Fox and Mastergate; and additional text for Jerome Robbins' Broadway
• David Mamet, playwright: American Buffalo, The Water Engine/Mr. Happiness, Speed-the-Plow, The Old Neighborhood and Glengarry Glen Ross
• John Lee Beatty, designer:Knock Knock, The Innocents, The Water Engine/Mr. Happiness, Ain't Misbehavin', Whoopee!, Faith Healer, Talley's Folley, Hide and Seek, Fifth of July, The Five O'Clock Girl, Fools, Crimes of the Heart, Duet for One, The Curse of An Aching Heart, Is There Life After High School?, Monday After the Miracle, Alice in Wonderland, Angels Fall, Passion, Baby, The Octette Bridge Club, Loot, The Nerd, Burn This, Penn & Teller, Love Letters, The Cemetery Club, The Most Happy Fella, A Small Family Business, The Price, The Real Inspector Hound/The Fifteen Minute Hamlet, Anna Christie, The Sisters Rosensweig, Redwood Curtain, White Liars & Black Comedy, Abe Lincoln in Illinois, Philadelphia Here I Come!, The Heiress, My Thing of Love, The Father, A Delicate Balance, Chicago, Once Upon a Mattress, The Last Night of Ballyhoo, An American Daughter, The Little Foxes, Proposals, Ivanov, Footloose, Ring Round the Moon, The Dinner Party, Proof, Major Barbara, 45 Seconds From Broadway, Morning's at Seven, Frankie and Johnny in the Claire de Lune and Say Goodnight, Gracie
• Bernard Gersten, producer; numerous productions for Lincoln Center Theater — recent productions include Morning's at Seven; QED; Thou Shalt No; The Invention of Love; Matters of the Heart; Rose; Contact; Marie Christine; Morning, Noon and Night; Ring Round the Moon; It Ain't Nothin' But the Blues; Via Dolorosa; Parade; Twelfth Night; Ah, Wilderness!; Ivanov; The Little Foxes; An American Daughter; Juan Darien; It's a Slippery Slope; Sex and Longing; A Delicate Balance; Racing Demon; Chronicle of a Death Foretold and Arcadia