The event will take place at 4:30 PM at Baruch Performing Arts Center (BPAC), 55 Lexington Avene at 25th Street. Reservations are not required. Consult www.baruch.cuny.edu/bpac.
The series began in 2000 and is now six books old. It was started and is still edited by Martin Denton, the founder and executive director of New York Theatre Experience, a New York-based theatre website that includes reviews, features and listings of Gotham productions. Denton—a former full-time accountant from the Washington, D.C. area, who halted a successful career with the Marriott Hotel chain to cover theatre non stop—hatched the idea after he realized that many of the small, black box plays he saw, and admired, would likely never see the light of day again. What to do? Why, publish them of course, with the hope that other theatres would produce the work. Thus, an independent theatre imprint was born.
The event will include performances from five of the plays included in this volume:
• Vampire Cowboy Trilogy by Qui Nguyen & Robert Ross Parker, performed by Dan Deming, Caitlin Dick, Melissa Paladino, Andrea Marie Smith, and Temar Underwood
• Kalighat by Paul Knox, cast to be announced
• Bull Spears by Josh Chambers, performed by Justin Fayne, Will Schmerge, Richard Hawk, Noel Allain, Cate Owren, Sue Kessler, Jane Pickett, Ramona Fantino, Rebecca Marzalek-Kelly
• The 29 Questions Project by Katie Bull & Hillary Rollins, performed by Hillary Rollins, Patricia Hart, Heather Oakley, David Dartley, Lillian Medville, Michael Robinson, Katey Parker, Matthew Sadewitz, Harry Prichett
• Animal by Kevin Augustine, performed by Kevin Augustine and David Michael Friend.
Refreshments are courtesy of Bryant Park Grill.