Though Applause and its theatre "gypsies" might not be coming to Broadway after all, Broadway's 8th annual "Gypsy Of The Year" competition will be taking place at the Virginia Theatre, Dec. 2 and 3.
Preparations for the event include a "silent auction" of show-related items at various prices, with all the money also going to BC/EFA.
Here are some auction action highlights:
SUNSET BOULEVARD --
Get a Norma Desmond make-over and meet Elaine Page (bidding starts at $1000)
A Sunset script signed by Sir Andrew! (bsa $1000)
A Sunset script signed by Don Black & Christopher Hampton (bsa $1000)
A Sunset Boulevard walk-on in the Paramount Studio scene: (bsa $2500)
Framed autographed poster (bsa $400)
VICTOR VICTORIA --
Two front row "house seats" for Liza's opening night & party (bsa $2000)
Stretch & warm up with the dancers before the performance (bsa $250)
Visit Julie or Liza backstage after the show (bsa $2500 each)
A FUNNY THING HAPPENED ON THE WAY TO THE FORUM --
Unused lyrics to a song called "Gaggle Of Geese," autographed by Stephen Sondheim! (bsa $300)
A pair of opening night tix for La Whoopi (bsa $2000)
Learn To Dance Like A Courtesan - from Funny's dance captain (bsa $250)
All bids must be received by Dec. 1 and can be faxed to (212) 768-1024. For other auction items and information, call (212) 780-4832.
The 4 PM event takes place during the annual Broadway Cares/Equity Fights AIDS Week, and all proceeds will go to that organization. The $125 VIP and $250 Benefactor tickets go on sale Nov. 1, available through the BC/EFA office at (212) 840-0770. The $35 general admission tickets won't go on sale until Nov. 25, and even then you have to get them at BC/EFA (in the Equity Building on West 46th St. in New York) or, if there are any left, at the theatre box office on the afternoons of the show. (Advance tickets are not on sale at the Virginia Theatre; they're only available through BC/EFA.) The Virginia Theatre is on 52nd St., west of Broadway.
Here is the complete list of items for bid from Sunset Boulevard and Victor/Victoria. Special thanks to the web-savvy cast members who put these lists together for Playbill On-Line:
1. SUNSET BLVD. LEATHER JACKET -- A One -of- a -Kind Jacket with our embroidered logo and monogrammed with the name of your choice! Included is a Certificate of Dedication personally signed by Elaine Paige! The Bidding starts at...$1500
2. "Norma Desmond" MAKE-OVER -- Be the "Norma" you always wanted to be!! Our staff will transform your face and dress you from Turban to Toe as Norma Desmond...And record the event for you! Meet Ms. Paige & compare turbans! The Bidding starts at...$1000
3. Join THE HAIR DEPARTMENT -- Join SUNSET'S Hair Department and see how 175 wigs are dressed and changed for each performance!! The Bidding starts at...$200
4. Be A STAGE MANAGER For a Performance Observe our Stage Management Team cue each scenic and lighting change in this technically complex production! -- The Bidding starts at...$300
-- 5. SUNSET SCRIPT Signed By SIR ANDREW LLOYD WEBBER A Collector's item! Sir Andrew Lloyd Webber personally signed his work! The Bidding starts...$1000
6. Trail Backstage With Our WARDROBE STAFF -- Join the SUNSET Wardrobe Department backstage and watch how over 200 costumes are prepared and changed each performance! The Bidding starts at...$200
7. SUNSET BLVD. WALK-ON -- MAKE YOUR BROADWAY DEBUT!! Join Elaine Paige and the SUNSET cast!! Fully costumed, you'll appear On-Stage in the "Paramount Studio" as Norma sings "AS IF WE NEVER SAID GOOD-BYE". The Bidding starts at...$2500
8. Own The Award Winning 1995 EASTER BONNET -- On view in the lobby!! Own this piece of theatrical history. Included is a Certificate of Authenticity signed by Ms. Paige! The bidding starts at...$2500
9. NORMA'S "FAMILY JEWELS" -- Donated by our Award Winning Designer Anthony Powell and the Really Useful Company. This Bauble was worn by all the STARS who've portrayed Norma Desmond on Broadway!! TheBidding starts at...$500
10. A "COLLECTOR'S COLLAGE" -- A beautiful "Conceptual Collage" made of actual pieces of fabric from Norma's lavish and expensive costumes. Donated by the Wardrobe Department, this framed piece also includes an autographed 8X10 Photograph of Ms. Paige as Norma, and a Certificate of Authenticity signed personally by our Award Winning Costume Designer Anthony Powell. The Bidding starts at...$600
11. SUNSET SCRIPT SIGNED BY THE AUTHORS -- Another rarity!! Don Black & Christopher Hampton personally signed their Script!! The Bidding starts at...$1000
12. Coach with THE MAESTRO -- SUNSET Conductor Kevin Stites will serve as your personal vocal coach as you learn the aria of your choice! Your session will be videotaped as a special remembrance. The Bidding starts at...$500
13. Own a SCARF Personally Donated by Elaine Paige -- A beautiful black and brown velvet/fringed Scarf monogrammed with Ms. Paige's initials. Included is a Certificate of Authenticity signed by Elaine Paige! The Bidding starts at...$200
14. A View From THE MUSICIANS PIT -- Sit and watch the SUNSET orchestra play this Tony Award winning score! The Bidding starts at...$200
15. A "CHAMPAGNE CHAT"!! -- After a performance join our International STAR for some bubbly!! Elaine Paige invites you for a Chat, Champagne and Canapes. The Bidding starts at...$1000
16. Join THE SOUND DEPARTMENT -- Sit with our Sound Department and watch how the sound is engineered by their state-of-the-art equipment! The Bidding starts at...$200
17. Personalized ANSWERING MACHINE GREETING -- Have your message recorded by NORMA (Elaine Paige), JOE (Alan Campbell), MAX (George Hearn), BETTY (Alice Ripley)...or any SUNSET cast member! The Bidding starts at...$150
18. Personalized & Framed Photo of Your FAVORITE CHARACTER -- You'll have an 8X10 Photo, autographed and framed, of the SUNSET performer of your choice and a bonus...Own THREE different Production Shots of Ms. Paige as Norma...A Collector's Dream! The Bidding starts at...$100
19. SUNSET "AUTOGRAPHED PILLOWS" -- These One-of-a Kind Decorator Throw Pillows are handsomely adorned and personally signed by the entire SUNSET cast on one side and covered with SUNSET fabric on the other!! Offering 2 Large Pillows only!! The Bidding starts at...$200 each
20. A FRAMED PERSONALLY AUTOGRAPHED POSTER -- The entire company has personally signed this LIMITED EDITION...1 ONLY!! The Bidding starts at...$400
1. FLOWERS FOR A STAR -- Soho's Potted Gardens delivers a unique flower arrangement to Julie Andrews' dressing room every week - Have that same arrangement delivered to the star in your life weekly for the next three months. The bidding starts at....$1,500.
2. A VICTORIOUS WEEKEND IN NEW YORK -- Give that someone special a magical weekend at the Waldorf-Astoria in New york. They'll arrive to find their "house seats", a welcome note from the cast, a gift basket of "Victor/Victoria" goodies and champagne waiting in their room. On show night your pampered guests will be taken by limousine to the theatre and be toasted by the stars backstage after the performance. The bidding starts at...$3,000.
3. "VICTOR/VICTORIA" JACKET -- One of a kind show jacket signed by the principals and dedicated to you by Julie Andrews. The bidding starts at...$2,000.
4. DINNER WITH NORMA -- Is she really as outrageous as she appears on-stage? Find out when you dine with Rachel York at Sardi's. The bidding starts at...$1,000.
5. DINNER WITH KING -- Enjoy Michael Nouri's "royal treatment" at his favorite restaurant after the show - if you're lucky he may share one of his coveted Cuban cigars. The bidding starts at...$1,000.
6. HAVE A HOT TODDY WITH TODDY -- Join Tony Roberts in his dressing room, after the show for one of his famous egg-creams. The bidding starts at...$1,000
7. VISIT VICTOR'S DRESING ROOM -- Visit Julie Andrews in her dressing room after a show. Ford, Kissinger, and Cronkite have all visited...now you will be on the backstage list. The bidding starts at...$2,500
Visit Liza Minelli in her dressing room after the show. Liza steps in for 32 performances only (January 7 - February 2), so you will be one of the priveleged few who get a backstage visit with this legendary star. The bidding starts at...$2,500
8. LIZA WITH A "V" -- Two front row "house seats" and a gala opening night party when Liza Minnelli steps in for Julie Andrews January 7. The bidding starts at...$2,000
9. BACKSTAGE TOUR WITH SQUASH -- King's faithful bodyguard will lead your backstage tour of the inner workings of a Broadway show. The bidding starts at...$250.
10. VICTOR/VICTORIA FROM THE WINGS -- See the show that takes place during each performance as you watch from the wings. The bidding starts at...$1,000.
11. PERSONALIZED VIDEO GREETING -- The stars of "Victor/Victoria" wish your loved one(s) happy holidays, birthday, etc. on video The bidding starts at...$1,000.
12. NEW ALBUM -- Personally signed to you by Julie Andrews...Julie Andrews' "The Words of Alan J. Lerner" album. The bidding starts at...$200.
13. THE SOUND OF MUSIC -- Your video will be even more alive with Julie Andrews' personal dedication to your children on the cover. The bidding starts at...$250.
14. MARY POPPINS -- Supercalifragilistic...a personally signed copy of the "Mary Poppins" video. The bidding starts at...$250.
15. PERSONALIZED ANSWERING MACHINE GREETING -- Your friends will be amazed when your favorite "Victor/Victoria" star delivers your telephone greeting. The bidding starts at...$750.
16. SO YOU WANT TO BE A STAR -- And they said you would never make it to Broadway. A walk-on role in "Victor/Victoria" for you and four "house seats" so that your friends can lead the applause. The bidding starts at...$2,500.
17. SIGNED "VICTOR/VICTORIA" SCRIPT -- Blake Edwards personally autographs a copy of his acclaimed script for "Victor/Victoria". The bidding starts at...$300.
18. SIGNED SHEET MUSIC -- Lyricist Leslie Bricusse signs a copy of his Academy Award winning sheet music for "Victor/Victoria". The bidding starts at...$300.
19. WARM-UP WITH THE DANCERS -- Learn how the professionals warm-up before a performance as you stretch with the "Victor/Victoria" dancers. The bidding starts at...$250.
20. PERSONALIZED CHILDREN'S BOOKS -- Harper Collins' special edition of Julie Andrews Edwards' acclaimed children's books "The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles" and "Mandy". Give those special children in your life personally dedicated copies before they reach the bookstores. The bidding starts at...$250.
21. "VICTOR/VICTORIA" CHRISTMAS BASKET -- A selection of "Victor/Victoria" holiday merchandise, (sweatshirt, mug, key ring, souvenir program, etc.) and a bottle of champagne with a signed card from the cast. The bidding starts at...$500.
22. DANCE LIKE A BROADWAY GYPSY -- "Victor/Victoria" dance captain, Robert Ashford, will personally teach you a dance number. The bidding starts at...$250.
23. NEW YORK TIMES COLLECTORS ITEM -- Framed 3-page announcement ad of Julie Andrews in Victor/Victoria from one of the six original press plates from the Sunday Times of February 26, 1995. The bidding starts at...$1,000.
24. "VICTOR/VICTORIA" WINE -- Color engraved with the "Victor/Victoria" logo, this Chimney Rock Cabernet Sauvignon was created especially as a gift to the show. Only one bottle available. The bidding starts at...$1,000
25. WHERE DID HE/SHE GET THAT SHIRT? -- Own one of the tuxedo shirts worn by Julie/Victor during the show. Signed or unsigned, your choice. The bidding starts at...$500
Oh, and for early planners, BC/EFA's spring Broadway Easter Bonnet Competition will happen April 7-8, 1997.
-- By David Lefkowitz