The album captures the Stephen Cole and David Evans musical as performed at a 2015 concert engagement at the Birdland jazz club in New York.
Blackhurst also starred in a return sold-out concert version of the show Jan. 18, again at Birdland. Produced by John Yap, the album also includes performances by Elizabeth Teeter, P.J. Benjamin, Anita Gillette, Eddie Korbich, Bill Nolte, Brian Charles Rooney and others.
The show is described thus: "Picture it: 1970. The Golden Age of Musical Theatre is drawing to an end. But 12-year-old Muriel Plakenstein doesn't know that. So she runs away from home to become a Broadway star, and meets the Queen of Broadway, Ethel Merman, who takes her to a Hello, Dolly! rehearsal where they sing together. When legendary producer David Merrick hears the kid, he decides to star Muriel in the first all-child cast of Dolly! Naturally, Merman takes her under wing to teach her the ropes of being a star...making little Muriel Plakenstein Merman's Apprentice."
Cole told Playbill.com that the show deals with Merman's life during the period when she was preparing to do Hello, Dolly! on Broadway.
Here is a complete track list:
1. Opening /"Living Out Loud" Merrick, Muriel, Teacher, Principal, Train
Conductor and Subway Riders
2. "A Broadway Star" Muriel, Merman and Autograph Hounds
3. "All About Ethel" Ethel, Muriel and Goldie
4. "Chums" Ethel And Muriel
5. "Merrick Dilemma" Ethel, David, Muriel and Marvin
6. "Better Than Life" Ethel, David, Muriel, Marvin and Goldie
7. "Loud" Ethel's Mom And Pop and Muriel
8. "Listen To The Trumpet" Call Ethel
9. "Merman's Apprentice" Ethel and Muriel
10. "Little Bit" Ethel and Muriel
11. "Meet The Kid" David, Ethel, Goldie, Marvin, Muriel and Reporters
12. "I Miss Canarsie" Muriel and Mom
13. "Taking The Veil" Ethel (Muriel)
14. "Now You're Gonna Sing" Ethel (Muriel)
15. "I Really Like It" Muriel And Cast Of Hello, Dolly!
16. "Finale" Muriel, David, Ethel and Company