Original works by new emerging playwrights are being presented for five weeks at the Soho Repertory Theatre under the umbrella title of Summer Camp 6 -- New Works in Heat, A New Play Development Series. The Off-Off-Broadway festival will run from July 13- Aug. 13.
Summer Camp brings together young writers, directors, designers, and theatre technicians each summer to hone their skills in a professional setting. It concludes the Soho Rep season, which featured the premiere of Quincy Long’s The Year of the Baby, and Mac Wellman’s Hypatia.
Artistic director Daniel Max Aukin said in a statement, “The best way to develop a new play is to mount a production of that play. No number of staged readings can provide the insight that is gained through the process of a high-level workshop. Mounting a new play with technical support and real rehearsal time allows the playwright to better see what the play and production need to evolve.”
The schedule for Summer Camp 6 is as follows:
• July 13-15, the 10-Minute Play Series will boast eight new 10-minute plays. Among these are Brad Fetzer’s Get In and Emily Jenkins’ Family, Genus, Species.
• July 20-22, World Speed Carnival, by Stephanie Fleischmann.
• July 27-29, Marge by Peter Morris.
• August 3-5, Amy Rebecca Boyce’s Dead Reckoning.
• Aug. 6, New Creations.
• August 11-13, The Flying Machine, the Brooklyn clown ensemble, premieres its new comedy, Archipelago. Tickets are $8. Soho Rep is located at 46 Walker St. in Manhattan. Call (212) 334-0962 for specific showtimes and reservations.
-- Daniel Fischer