Some of the hottest of the new generation of Broadway stars -- including Kristin Chenoweth, Alice Ripley, Laura Benanti, Marin Mazzie and Brian d'Arcy James -- sing on the new Varese Sarabande disc, "The Stephen Schwartz Album," a collection devoted to the works of the songwriter who gave us Pippin.
Schwartz himself sings "Fathers and Sons," from Working. The 16 track disc is produced and arranged by Bruce Kimmel, with orchestrations by David Siegal. Release is set for Aug. 24, but some stores around the U.S. already have the disc on shelves.
The album includes:
• "Beautiful City/Day by Day" (Godspell), Laura Benanti
• "Corner of the Sky" (Pippin), Guy Haines
• "Lion Tamer" (The Magic Show), Kristin Chenoweth
• "Just Around the Riverbend" ("Pocahontas"), Christiane Noll
• "West End Avenue" (The Magic Show), Alice Ripley
• "Blame It on the Summer Night" (Rags), Michelle Pawk
• "Colors of the Wind" ("Pocahontas"), Sara Ramirez
• "No Time at All" (Pippin), Dorothy Loudon
• "With You/Gifts of Love" (Pippin/The Baker's Wife), Marin Mazzie
• "Stranger to the Rain" (Children of Eden), Jennifer Leigh Warren
• "Meadowlark" (The Baker's Wife), Susan Egan
• "Fathers and Sons" (Working), Stephen Schwartz
• "Chanson" (The Baker's Wife), Emily Skinner
• "In Whatever Time We Have" (Children of Eden), Brian d'Arcy James & Luba Mason
• "Out There" ("The Hunchback of Notre Dame"), Jason Danieley
• "When You Believe" ("Prince of Egypt"), Ann Marie Milazzo A stage version of The Hunchback of Notre Dame recently opened in Germany and there is talk that it may be the next major Disney stage show on Broadway, following the expected 2000 New York premiere of Disney's Aida.
Liner notes are by Schwartz himself.
-- By Kenneth Jones