Variety, the show business newspaper, polled 25 theatre producers and other theatre professionals to come up with predictions for the Tony Awards, which are to be given this Sunday, June 2.
According to the story, published in the issue dated May 27, predictably predicts Rent taking Best Musical.
The poll declared photo-finishes in several categories, including Best Play and Best Director of a Musical.
Two interesting notes: The poll predicts The King and I will beat favored A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum as Best Revival of a Musical. Reporter Jeremy Gerard reported that almost none of the Tony voters in the poll had actually seen all the nominated shows.
Here are predictions: * Best Musical: Rent
* Best Play: toss-up between Seven Guitars and Master Class
* Best Actress (Play): Zoe Caldwell of Master Class
* Best Actor (Musical): Nathan Lane for A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
* Best Actor (Play): George Grizzard of A Delicate Balance
* Best Revival (Musical): The King and I
* Best Revival (Play): A Delicate Balance
* Best Choreography: Savion Glover for Bring in 'Da Noise, Bring in 'Da Funk
* Best Direction of a Play: Gerald Gutierrez for A Delicate Balance
* Best Direction of a Musical: "photo finish" between George C. Wolfe of Noise/Funk and Christopher Renshaw of The King and I
* Best Featured Actor (Play): Ruben Santiago-Hudson of Seven Guitars
* Best Featured Actor (Musical): Wilson Jermaine Heredia of Rent
* Best Featured Actress (Play): "Wide open"
* Best Score: Rent
* Best Book: Rent
* Best Sets: Brian Thompson for The King and I
* Best Costumes: Roger Kirk for The King and I
-- By Robert Viagas