Saved and Destroyed, the late Harry Kondoleon's final play, had been scheduled to run at Off-Broadway's Rattlestick Theatre in February 2000, but was delayed until May and then postponed again (the February slot was filled by The Messenger, by David Van Asselt). Now, the Kondoleon work will have its first preview on Nov. 15 and open Nov. 19 for a run through Dec. 3.
The wait may have been worth it, for now the Rattlestick is holding a whole Harry Kondoleon Festival. The festival will included "talk-backs" with the director and cast of Saved, as well as readings and discussions of the playwright's works.
Among the actors set to participate in the readings are Kristine Nielson (Betty's Summer Vacation), Kathleen Chalfant (Wit), Martha Plimpton (Steppenwolf's The Playboy of the Western World) and Amy Sedaris (The Country Club). Talking about Kondoleon and his writings will be fellow playwrights Wendy Wasserstein and John Guare. Other theatre pros expected to be on hand are Robyn Goodman, Doug Hughes and Michael Feingold.
Highlights of the festival include:
• Nov. 19: a "talk-back" with the cast and director of Saved.
• Nov. 28: A reading of Kondoleon's Cote D'Azur, followed by a discussion led by Village Voice critic Michael Feingold.
• Dec. 4: A reading of Self-Torture, featuring Kristine Nielson. Robyn Goodman and Stephen Soba will host, while John Guare will speak.
• Dec. 5: A reading of Diary of a Lost Boy, Peter Hedges' adaptation of Kondoleon's novel of the same title.
• Dec. 6: A reading of Play Yourself, hosted by Doug Hughes. Kathleen Chalfant, Martha Plimpton and Amy Sedaris are featured. Wendy Wasserstein will speak afterwards. Tickets at $35. The Rattlestick is located at 224 Waverly Place. For more information, call (212) 206-1515.
Saved and Destroyed will boast an estimable cast of seasoned theatre actors. Featured in the cast are such familiar faces as Julie Halston, David Greenspan and Larry Pine. Also in the cast are Michi Barall, Scotty Bloch, Michael Doyle and Ray Anthony Thomas.
—By Robert Simonson