The Art and the Audition
We have room to enroll in this class as a Full director or an Auditor.
This class is for directors and artists of other disciplines (actors, playwrights, filmmakers) who want a solid directing foundation.
See description below, and reply for full schedule, fees, and application. Please feel free to write with questions.
D I R E C T I N G C L A S S
Taught by Karen Kohlhaas, director & founding member, Atlantic Theater Company
JUNE 3—AUGUST 6, 14 classes, meets most (but not all) Monday and Tuesday evenings (email for exact schedule)
Do you want to direct?
This is a 56+ hour class in directing designed to be as comprehensive and creatively stimulating as possible.
It is the most complete non-degree directing program available.
The class includes hands-on experience in:
• Script analysis for directors
• Pre-production and research
• Auditioning actors
• Table work
• Communicating effectively with actors
• Rehearsal technique
• Staging: Composition
• Staging: How to use structure, contrast and suspense in storytelling
• Conceiving the set, light, costume and sound design of your play
• Showmanship for directors
• Time management
And, lecture/discussion/guest classes that address
• Working with a playwright on a new play
• Collaborating with designers
• Working effectively with casting directors
• Working effectively with artistic directors and producers
• Goals for and handling of previews/opening/run
• Working effectively with stage managers
• Directing careers
• Creating your own work
"The best class I ever took!"
—Aimee Todoroff, MFA, Artistic Director of Elephant Run District, Freelance Director
"I've never taken a better organized or more productive class in any field."
—Elise Marenson, Film and Theater Writer & Director
"This class created much of my professional life. I doubt I'd be as happy or as successful if I hadn't taken it when I did.
Highest recommendation for directors at all levels."
—Mark Armstrong, MFA, Executive Director, the 24 Hour Plays, Freelance Director
For complete information, schedule, tuition, Karen's bio, and application, please reply to this post.
June 3, 2019 - August 6, 2019