BAM (Brooklyn Academy of Music) is a home for adventurous artists, audiences, and ideas—engaging both global and local communities with world-renowned programming in theater, dance, music, opera, film, and much more.
The Artist Services Department at BAM is currently seeking a talented part-time Artist Services Representative who can serve as a direct liaison between BAM General Management/Artist Services and the visiting artist(s) during their time at BAM. The Artist Services Representative will fulfill contractual obligations to visiting companies including but not limited to flights, hotel, local transport, comp and house seat tickets, per diem distribution, hospitality as required by the productions. The productions being supported by the Artist Services Representative will be held in all houses within the Next Wave Festival at BAM.
The Artist Services Representative role is a Temporary, part-time assignment with a duration from September 16, 2019 through December 22, 2019
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of the Artist Services Representative:
- Serve as the on-site contact for visiting artists during the run of their shows including but not limited to rehearsal periods and opening night celebrations
- Provide organizational support and welcome materials for visiting artists including backstage credentials, and neighborhood information for restaurants, shops and services
- Assist in pre-arrival preparations for visiting artists including travel coordination (international and local) and arrangement of accommodations
- Greet visiting artists at the airport and hotel(s) as necessary
- Arrange and coordinate all necessary ground transportation for airport transfers and local hotel to venue transportation via buses or local car services, vans, etc.
- Liaise between visiting artists and other BAM departments as necessary
- Administer all company contractual ticket allocations
- Prepare and arrange for all greenroom hospitality as required by a visiting artist and or Company and as dictated by BAM to include opening night gifts and backstage refreshments
- Accompany artist(s) to any BAM related post show events given in their honor as part of their opening night or closing night celebrations
- Coordination of simple backstage toasts or gatherings on behalf of Executive Producer and management team.
- Financial responsibilities: track expenses against allocated budget and develop project-based close-out reports for Finance department and Manager of Artist Services; handle a petty cash ledger
- Assist with medical and therapeutic appointments that may need to be organized on behalf of a visiting artist. In certain cases, accompany artists to offsite care facilities.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- 1-2 years experience as a company manager or in a service-oriented role in the arts
- Ability to work a flexible, varying schedule (weekends, long nights, and holidays as necessary)
- Possess a strong familiarity with New York City and Brooklyn neighborhoods
- Excellent communication skills
- Customer service oriented
- Knowledge and understanding of basic budget processes
- Facility with MS Office Suite and ease with Internet research
- Ability to lift and move heavy objects at times (50 lbs.)
- Interest in working at a performing arts organization
- Knowledge of foreign language(s) is a plus
- Excellent work ethic with a flair for completing simultaneously occurring tasks
- Strong interpersonal skills in dealing with a wide variety of personalities and artistic temperaments
- Outgoing sensibility—confidence to speak in front of a group
- Calm and effective problem solver
- Ability to demonstrate patience and maturity and interact in a friendly and professional manner to diverse populations
- Keen sense of discretion and confidentiality
- Creativity and resourcefulness in all problem solving
- High degree of accuracy and organization in all business matters and details
- Maturity and professionalism in both professional and social environments
- Sensitivity to and interest in different and international cultures
- Curiosity and awareness towards the broad spectrum of BAM’s programming
Pay Rate: $20.00 per hour, Part Time
Application Instructions: must complete an online application at https://www.bam.org/about/careers/apply - no phone calls, emails or walk ins, please.
See what it's like to work at BAM on Twitter/Instagram: #SceneAtBAM
September 16, 2019 - December 22, 2019