New York, NY 10002
Performa is currently recruiting Associate/Assistant Producers and Freelance Creatives for the Performa 19 Biennial. We are seeking multiple people with a range of production skills to join the Performa team of curators and producers to realize 40-50 live performances, classes and special events of every description. We are seeking freelancing candidates who have strong New York City networks and at least 5 years of work experience as cultural producers. All candidates must enjoy intense collaboration, creative problem-solving and the process of producing live work at the highest standard possible in sometimes challenging circumstances. The Performa 19 Biennial runs November 1-24, 2019 and contracts will be issued between June to November 2019.
We are in search of unique candidates with who will bring added value to a producing role in addition to experience with any of the following; theater production, exhibition fabrication and installation, lighting design and engineering, sound design and engineering, audio production and recording, video production and broadcasting, special event and food production, parade and public event production, carpentry and welding, show-running and stage managing, costume design and styling, construction and demolition, contracts and insurance, theatrical rigging and scenic design, media and film production, art work fabrication and transportation and/or casting and performer management – including children and potentially animals. If you have experience in three or more areas above and are interested in joining the team as a freelance contractor, please send an email of interest and your resume to the attention of Producing Director Esa Vincenty Nickle to jobsATperforma-arts.org.
Reporting to the Producing Director, and working closely with Performa’s curatorial team, Performa is seeking producers to manage production logistics and execution of all programming for the Performa 19 Biennial.
- Liaise with artists, venues, crews, vendors and performance casts while coordinating logistics, production needs, scheduling and staffing.
- Onsite project management to ensure successful load-ins/load-outs, installations/de-installations, and public performances
- Develop and manage rehearsal and performance schedules and production plan
- Oversee venue research, location scouting and negotiations.
- Execute contracts for performers and vendors
- Oversee production-related technical support
- Build technical packages, solicit quotes and contract equipment rentals.
- Establish production and run-of-show schedules and
- Ensure projects stay on track and within budget
- Hire and manage freelance production staff and outside contractors for execution of individual performance programs
- Secure all necessary permits and COIs for locations, vendors and partners.
- Experience in show-running and line producing
- Basic understanding of technical requirements and ability to work with a technical team.
- Experience with personnel and budget management, staff training, and team building.
- Ability to prioritize tasks, manage deadlines, adapt with changing priorities, and balance short-term needs with long-term goals in a fast-paced environment
- At least 4+ years of production management experience in a theater, music venue, performing arts organization, museum, or equivalent
- Interest and background in live performance and events planning
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Outstanding organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Self-motivated, with a collaborative spirit.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, particularly Excel.
- Must have flexible schedule with evening and weekend hours required
- Physically demanding tasks, such as lifting and moving equipment, will occasionally be required.