Berkeley Repertory Theatre
Berkeley, CA 94710
POSITION: Associate Production Manager
POSTING DATE: 5 December, 2018
REPORTS TO: Production Manager
WORK SCHEDULE: Monday – Friday (schedule will change during load in or tech, which will include nights and weekends)
CLASSIFICATION: Full-Time Position
SALARY & BENEFITS: DOE. Exempt. Benefits eligible the first of the month following 60 days of continuous employment.
Tony-Award winning Berkeley Repertory Theatre (LORT B) seeks an Associate Production Manager to join our team.
Under the direction of the Production Manager, the Associate Production Manager serves as a key member of BRT’s Production Department. The Associate PM is responsible for supporting the Production Manager in all aspects of running the department. This shall include providing administrative support to the Production Manager maintaining a place at the center of communications between Production Department Supervisors, Designers, and other Departments within the Organization. We are looking for a creative problem-solver who has excellent technical and communication skills, thrives in a team atmosphere, and is articulate and imaginative.
Responsibilities include but aren’t limited to the following tasks:
· Serve as primary Production Manager for two or more special events and/or incoming mainstage productions in each season as assigned by the Production Manager. This shall include but is not limited to: customarily and regularly exercising discretion and independent judgment while overseeing department supervisors, load-in, technical rehearsals, performances and load outs, expense tracking, working closely with designers, artistic, company and general management.
· Serve as facilitator for BRT’s Facility Rentals. This shall include but is not limited to: Booking, contracting, staffing, maintaining client relations, creating info sheets and event updates to staff, managing rental database, conducting an annual rental survey, and reporting potential dates to city and BRT PR manager
· Oversee the drafting and execution of all LORT-USA designer contracts and other production related contracts.
· Cultivate excellent relationships with agents, designers and visiting artists.
· Oversee the administration areas of production management department including processing invoices, tracking and reconciling expenses, and updating production calendars.
· When assigned, serve as Primary Production Manager for BRT’s Annual Gala. This shall include but is not limited to: working closely with development department to determine venue, budget, staffing, production needs, maintaining production schedule, securing vendors for sound and lighting needs, and leading crews for load-in, the event and load-out of venue.
· Serve as Production Mentor for the BRT School of Theatre annual One Act’s Festival. Work with School of Theatre to provide oversight for production elements and advise production fellows.
· Provide Production Management oversight as assigned by the Production Manager on large productions in specific areas such as music, lighting, sound or video
· Provide production support for rehearsal, tech and performance periods as needed; remain on site at the theater for load in, tech and preview weeks in rotation with other members of the production staff.
· Provide mentorship and work direction to Production Management Fellow (a season-long training program).
· Assist Production Manager in future season planning, developing and monitoring production budgets, and creating season calendar and production schedules.
· Assist the Production Manager in the management of personnel safety and uphold safety policies and protocols within the department. Institute and uphold all required health & safety training.
· Assist the Production Manager in the management and oversight of the Production Department heads and shops.
· Instill and nurture an inclusive, safe, efficient, and effective working environment in all production- related areas.
· Attend and lead production meetings, rehearsals, technical rehearsals and performances as necessary.
· Cover all primary day-to-day duties of the Production Manager in their absence. These duties shall include but is not limited to: leadership and management of the Production Department and Production Department heads, attending Senior Staff meetings, oversight of production budgets, and acting as liaison with other departments in the company.
· All other special projects and duties as assigned.
Preferred candidate will possess the following qualifications:
· This position requires either a BA in theater or equivalent years of experience in theatrical production management.
· Deep knowledge and understanding of theatre practices in all production departments within a regional theatre.
· Familiarity with standard theater policies and procedures, equity rules and guidelines, and LORT-USA contracts.
· Strong administration skill including writing contracts and tracking budgets and expenditures.
· Possessing strong computer skills is a must. Microsoft Office programs including Word, Excel, and other drafting, calendar, email and database software for both PC and Mac.
· Experience in a specialized technical areas of theater (such as lighting, carpentry) is desirable.
· Valid driver’s license.
Preferred candidate will have the ability to:
· Be an excellent collaborator in the process of creating new work and new productions.
· Interact with a diverse group of constituents including visiting directors, designers, artists, administrative staff, technical crews, and students.
· Read and interpret technical theater drafts.
· Have a good sense of humor and a positive attitude.
· Successfully address and resolve contradictory interests or values of multiple parties.
· Organize and communicate information clearly, both verbally and in writing.
· Work in a detail-oriented manner and be resourceful and flexible.
· Handle multiple tasks simultaneously and prioritize effectively.
· Effectively and creatively problem-solve.
· To reach above head, climb, lift and maneuver 25 pounds when needed.
· Face demanding situations with tenacity, diplomacy, and sensitivity under pressure.
· Work independently and as part of team.
· Work irregular hours, evening hours, long hours and weekend as required.
Berkeley Rep is an equal opportunity employer. Berkeley Rep offers a diverse, congenial, casual environment conducive to professional growth. Position available March 2019.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter, salary requirements and a resume without delay. Berkeley Rep will contact candidates of interest. Please, no calls.
Email submissions only. Send only PDF files, no web links to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “Associate Production Manager.” Only complete submissions will be considered.
March 1, 2019 -