New York, NY 10036
Theatre Row, a program of the non-profit Building for the Arts, is an Off-Broadway multi-theater complex in the heart of the Theater District that serves as an affordable home for performing artist organizations, and a lively, accessible venue for diverse audiences.
Located just two blocks from Times Square, Theatre Row’s six theaters are rented by over 100 theatre and performance arts companies each year, bringing over 165,000 patrons to Theatre Row annually.
Theatre Row acts as the box office for all of these theatre and performance arts companies.
Theatre Row is seeking a full-time Manager for the Box Office. The Box Office Manager sets the tone for positive customer service experience for Theatre Row patrons and theatre companies.
The Box Office is open daily from noon to 6pm; and until 30 minutes past last curtain on nights with performances. There are evening performances 6-7 days a week and 2-3 matinees weekly. The Box Office staff is a mix of full time and part-time employees including three assistant managers.
Responsibilities of the Box Office Manager include but are not limited to:
· Builds and maintains shows in the STAR (Telecharge) ticketing system. This includes both the initial build and any changes requested by the producer or GM’s of the shows as their runs progress.
· Manages, schedules, and supervises Box Office staff, in conjunction with the Director of Theatre Operations and the Associate General Manager. Provides extra training to staff, as necessary.
· Daily duties include maintenance of the box office records, weekly and daily reporting, collection of all cash and check payments made at the Box Office Window, updating price code and marketing codes, maintenance of house seats, assisting with ADA compliance, coordination of all TDF/TKTS transactions, and closing-out/finalizing performances on a nightly basis by running and signing off on reports.
· Works with individual General Managers, House Managers and Company Managers to ensure accurate adherence to Box Office procedures.
· In the case of emergency, the Box Office Manager assists the House Manager with crowd control and is responsible for communicating procedures to the Box Office Staff.
· Acts as a liaison between company managers and/or General Managers and third party sellers or papering services. When necessary the Box Office Manager directs them to the appropriate Theatre Row staff when an issue is outside the Box Office department.
· Prioritizes and responds to a high volume of emails for current and upcoming shows.
· Runs “will call” and assists with customer service questions and issues, including taking on the second window to assist with pick up and sales.
· Answers calls from Telecharge customer service representatives and communicates changes or updates in policy to the Telecharge help desk
· Typically, workweek for the Box Office Manager is Monday through Friday 11:30am to 830pm, with one to two days ending earlier pending curtain schedule; occasional weekend and holiday flexibility necessary.
· The Box Office Manager reports to the Director of Theatre Operations
§ Three or more years’ experience with the STAR Telecharge ticketing system.
§ Experience managing box office staff.
§ Strong interpersonal and customer relations skills. Ability to create and sustain positive working relationships with theatre companies and staff.
§ Familiarity with both commercial and non-profit theatre best practices.
§ Ability to work under pressure
§ Familiarity with Ovation preferred
§ A team player.
§ Passionate about theatre arts.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Medical and Dental benefits are included.
To apply please send cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Resume and Cover Letter should each be one page or shorter and highlight applicants abilities in staff management and the STAR ticketing system. Please do not send a headshot. No calls will be accepted.
Theatre Row is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in recruitment or employment on the base of race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information, citizenship status, uniformed service member or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Theater Row is a program of the non-profit Building for the Arts (www.bfany.org).