New York Theatre Workshop
New York, NY 10003
About New York Theatre Workshop:
AtNew York Theatre Workshop, we work relentlessly to empower visionary theatre-makers and bring their work to adventurous audiences through productions, artist workshops and educational programs. We nurture pioneering new writers like Hammaad Chaudry and Nathan Alan Davis alongside powerhouse playwrights like Amy Herzog and Ayad Akhtar. We engage inimitable auteur-directors like Rachel Chavkin and Sam Gold and give invaluable support to tremendous talents like Lileana Blain-Cruz in the earliest days of their careers. We maintain decades-long relationships with legendary theatre-makers like Will Power, Ivo van Hove, Dael Orlandersmith and Caryl Churchill, whose work has shaped and continues to influence our very idea of what theatre can be.
Since our founding in 1979, we've produced over 150 fully-realized productions including Jonathan Larson's Rent; Tony Kushner's Homebody/Kabul; Doug Wright's Quills; Claudia Shear's Dirty Blonde; Rick Elice’s Peter and the Starcatcher; Glen Hansard, Markéta Irglová and Enda Walsh’s Once; and David Bowie and Enda Walsh’s Lazarus. Enabling our artists to push boundaries generates work like Anaïs Michell’s stirring and unforgettable Hadestown, Geoff Sobelle’s magical and transformative The Object Lesson and Mfoniso Udofia’s epic, sweeping two-part cycle, Sojourners & Her Portmanteau. NYTW productions have received a Pulitzer Prize, seventeen Tony Awards and numerous Obie, Drama Desk and Lucille Lortel Awards.
But that’s not what we’re proudest of. We take the greatest satisfaction from the community we’ve built, and the perspective-shifting experiences we’ve delivered along the way. We think that theatre can bring people together, change the conversation, and have a profound impact. We feel fortunate to get to support it. If that sounds like something you’re interested in too, we’d love to meet you.
About the Team:
Our four-person Internal Operations team is responsible for the finance, facilities, IT, and HR functions for this $6.5 million theater with 30 full-time employees. The Business Manager is responsible for the daily operations of the finance department. The Business Manager reports directly to the Director of Internal Operations and oversees the Finance Assistant.
About the Position:
· Manages month and year-end reporting including bank reconciliations, detailed GL account analysis and journal preparation.
· Manages institutional budget, in concert with the Director of Internal Operations and Managing Director.
· Assists Director of Internal Operations with cash flow management.
· Records and reconciles ticket and development revenues
· Assists in Board meeting preparation and takes notes for Finance Committee meetings.
· Co-Leads preparation for the annual audit and the Form 990.
· Supplies budgets and financial information for grant applications and reports.
· Manages Finance Assistant and oversees the processing of payroll, A/P and other daily needs of the organization.
· Serves as Payroll administrator back up and manages all employee benefits (health, dental, FSA, 403b, transit, Difference Card).
· You possess excellent analytical skills and are highly organized and self-motivated
· You have excellent bookkeeping skills and understand the special requirements of not-for-profit accounting
· You have an excellent working knowledge of MS Excel
· You have the ability to maintain impeccable attention to detail and accuracy while working on multiple projects and tasks at once; excellent numerical and computational skills
· You have experience in budget management, financial planning, and analysis
· You have experience with capital projects
· You have experience with Financial Edge and Spektrix CRM Database
Benefits include employer paid medical, dental and life insurance and paid time off.
NYTW is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). We are committed to diversity in all areas of our work, on and offstage. We encourage applicants with a unique cultural perspective inclusive of race, ethnicity, gender identity or expression, class, physical ability and sexual orientation.
To apply, please submit a cover letter (please include where you found out about this position), resume and two references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include the job title along with your first and last name in the subject line.