Brooklyn Academy of Music (BAM), an internationally recognized presenter of contemporary performing arts and cinema is seeking a dedicated Cinema Manager to maintain innovative and quality operation of the BAM Rose Cinemas and BAMcinematek 365 days a year.
The Cinema Manager will protect BAM’s brand by promoting BAM’s award-winning cinema programming, with a primary focus on BAMcinématek (the year-round repertory program), BAMcinemaFest (annual festival of American independent film), and BAM Rose Cinemas (new release films) while meeting revenue and strategic goals.The Cinema Manager will expand awareness of cinema at BAM and cultivate film audiences by communicating the diversity of the services that BAM provides.
The Cinema Manager will acheive this by:
- Providing high quality customer service.
- Motivating staff to do their best in performing their duties
- Increasing attendance and revenue by providing cost-effective management and services and quality maintenance of the facilities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Cinema Manager will be responsible for all areas of cinema operation, including:
- Recruit, train, and manage floor staff, assistant managers and projectionists.
- Conduct quarterly assessments of staff
- Manage Box Office operation, cash handling, audit and reporting.
- Manage Concession operation, purchasing, marketing and display of merchandise.
- Work in partnership with Facilities and Security to ensure that standards are met.
- Oversee maintenance of projection booth equipment, as well as the purchase of new equipment.
- Work with the film buyer on programming the right films for the first run operation.
- Coordinate all the live events that accompany some of our Cinematek presentations and film festivals.
- Ensure cinemas comply with health and safety standards
- Promote and market films
- Maintain budget
- BA or equivalent work experience required.
- Five years of retail/entertainment experience
- Understanding of management of a full-service cinema
- Knowledge of revenues and expenses
- Experience coordinating special events
- Experience managing employees
- Excellent knowledge and love of films
- Understanding and experience with the necessary equipment to maintain a Concession, box office, and projection booth.
- Master’s in Business
- A strong character
- Integrity, objectivity, and the ability to remain calm and calculated under pressure.
- The ability to multi task
- Strong people skills
- Strong leadership skills
- The ability to manage crises
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package including pension.
Application Instructions: must complete an online application at https://www.bam.org/about/careers/apply - no phone calls, emails or walk ins, please.
See what it's like to work at BAM on Twitter/Instagram: #SceneAtBAM