Olney Theatre Center
Olney, MD 20832
Community Engagement and Touring Coordinator
Olney Theatre Center (OTC) and National Players (NP) seek an organized, thorough, and driven Community Engagement and Touring Coordinator to connect Olney's regional and national programs to a variety of communities. Reporting to the Artistic Director of National Players (75%) and the Director of Marketing and Communications (25%), the Community Engagement and Touring Coordinator will take a holistic approach to bridging OTC/NP programs with local and national communities. The Community Engagement and Touring Coordinator will build a touring route for future tours of National Players in performing arts venues, schools, and community centers across the nation -- and will work with those partners to expand the reach of the tour beyond the stage and into their communities. Locally, the Community Engagement and Touring Coordinator will develop and manage unique community engagement opportunities into the local community, such as public and private schools, worship organizations, family and youth centers, and other such community-focused groups. The ideal candidate for this position is a person with a passion for building bridges in the local community and knowledge of national touring.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES/CORE FUNCTIONAL AREAS
NATIONAL PLAYERS: Hailed as the nation's longest-running touring company, National Players brings theatre performances, workshops, and community engagement experiences to scores of communities across the country -- from high schools in New England to performing arts centers in New Mexico. The Community Engagement and Touring Coordinator will work closely with dozens of community partners and performing arts presenters across the country to book National Players' activities into a variety of venues annually. Key strategies include:
- Marketing: Work with Marketing and National Players team to generate and distribute marketing materials, including but not limited to National Players' brochures, student matinees materials, educators' outreach events, and website content.
- Conference Attendance and Communication: Travel to a variety of conferences such as Arts Midwest, PAE, IPAY, and APAP to cultivate with presenters and to secure booking for future tours.
- Routing: Work with the National Players Artistic Director to build a touring route that optimizes mileage, depth of community engagement, and presenter requests.
- Venue Contracting: Working with OTC General Manager to execute and update contracts with each venue.
REGIONAL COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT: The Community Engagement and Touring Coordinator will work with the Marketing and Communications Department to build and implement a comprehensive and sustainable community engagement strategy for Olney Theatre Center, focused on making lasting connections with the variety of communities and affinity groups in our diverse geographic region. Such events could include the following:
- Producing unique community events for each Olney Theatre Center production.
- Soliciting new group sales for Olney Theatre productions and managing relationships with group leaders (in concert with the Director of Sales).
- Coordinating with local vendors and arts partners to participate in OTC's annual Summer Celebration.
- Creating and implementing new local engagement programs.
STUDENT MATINEES: The Community Engagement and Touring Coordinator will work with Marketing, Sales, and Education departments to schedule student matinees and connect appropriate school group to available performances. Additionally, the Community Engagement and Touring Coordinator will work with the Education department to schedule subsequent talkbacks and other supplemental educational activities tied t the student matinee. This person would be responsible for building and maintaining relationships with schools in Montgomery County, Howard County, and Prince George's County, among others.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
- Database Updating and Archiving: Maintaining accurate records for status tracking, historical reference, and archival - from initial marketing contact to post-performance dialogue.
- Mentorship: Co-Mentoring the Education Administration Apprentice.
- TYA: Working with Olney Theatre's Production Department and outside Theatre for Young Audiences (TYA) touring companies to create a 3-show TYA season on Olney's Historic stage.
- Season Planning: Working with the National Players Artistic Director to select plays for future tours.
- Artistic Ambassadorship: The Community Engagement and Touring Coordinator, both internally and externally, will identify and communicate key artistic visions to stakeholders, locally and nationally. This work will include keeping clear lines of communication with the Marketing and Development departments of the theater, as well as peer theaters in the DC area.
- Alumni Relations: Managing alumni relationships with former National Players and Apprentices.
- Artistic and Marketing Team Support: Supporting the National Players Artistic Director or Director of Marketing and Communications of OTC on other projects as needed.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
Education: Bachelor's Degree in a relevant field
Experience: At least three years of professional experience in a related field; professional arts experience encourages
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Sit for extended periods of time, operate a computer keyboard for extended periods of time, ability to speak on the telephone for extended periods, ability to ambulate comfortably and with frequency
TIME REQUIREMENTS: Full-time position (Monday - Friday), with occasional evening and weekend work requirements.
TRAVEL: Moderate amount of travel for conferences and site visits
TRANSPORTATION: Due to Olney Theatre Center's Location, access to a motor vehicle is needed
OTHER: Knowledge of the booking process preferred; exceptional research and communication skills; previous database experience and training in Tessitura preferred; experience in educational theatre and working with young professionals strongly encourages; experience in leading teams and collaborating across departments strongly encouraged; exceptional interpersonal skills required; excellent public speaking, presentation and group leadership skills strongly encouraged; strong commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion required
Anticipated start date of August 1, 2017, but will continue searching until the right candidate is found. Salary commensurate with experience. Olney Theatre Center offers a full benefits package. Olney Theatre Center and National Players are Equal Opportunity Employers and strongly encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds and experiences to apply. Please visit www.olneytheatre.org for more details.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please visit www.olneytheatre.org for more details and to apply. No calls, please. Due to the high volume of responses we are only able to respond to candidates we wish to interview.
August 1, 2017 -