New York City Center
New York, NY 10019
New York City Center is seeking a skilled Controller who possesses a solid track record of experience in non-profit finance operations.
The Controller ensures that the established financial systems, policies, and procedures of City Center support timely and accurate financial reporting, data analysis, account reconciliation, payroll processing and annual audit compliance. This integral position is responsible for most day-to-day financial and accounting functions for City Center, an organization with a $29M annual budget. The Controller oversees payroll and accounts payable with a two-person support team, and partners with the Vice President & CFO to prepare reports for the Board and various board committees. This position works closely with departmental management and leads the organization in adhering to generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) while proactively ensuring that the Finance Department supports City Center’s ongoing mission and overall operations.
Job Responsibilities Include:
- Finance and Accounting Ensure the day-to-day accuracy of all finance functions: accounts payable, cash receipts and disbursements, invoicing/billing, payroll, fixed asset records, general accounting journal entries, banking operations, wire transfers, and statistical data collection and reporting.
- Oversee the chart of accounts, trial balance, general ledger, and financial reporting systems, ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and not-for-profit regulatory requirements.
- In collaboration with the CFO, refine, monitor, and enforce policies and procedures to lead effective and efficient internal controls, reliable financial information and accounting for income and expenditures.
- Prepare financial statements and supporting schedules.
- Supervise and coordinate all activities and preparations for annual audit both internally and with external auditors to ensure accurate and timely completion of audited financial statements and 990 tax returns.
- Supervise and coordinate ancillary institutional audits, such as worker’s compensation, general liability insurance, union-related compliance audits, etc.
- In collaboration with the CFO, consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate and timely manner; compare actual results to budget to identify, explain, and correct variances; clearly communicate monthly, quarterly, and annual financial statements.
- Manage organizational cash flow forecasting and keep CFO apprised of on-going status.
- Track the performance of invested assets in keeping with policies and institutional investment guidelines; function as day-to-day liaison with investment managers executing asset transfers, re-allocations and portfolio management.
- Working with VP & CFO, assist in the annual benefit bid process with insurance brokers and be main point of contact for pension plan administration with Cultural Institution Retirement System (CIRS).
- Perform month-end and year-end reconciliations and closing processes.
- Post weekly payroll entries, including full-time administrative staff, part-time and seasonal employees, and collectively bargained workers across various unions.
- Oversee the filing of annual reports required by various city, state, and federal government agencies.
- Oversee settlement process with outside theatrical rental events, as well as internally produced programming.
- Department Management Supervise, train and direct Finance Department staff; assigning duties, delegating responsibilities, and examining work for accuracy, thoroughness and conformance to policies and procedures.
- Leverage strengths of the current finance team members by ensuring staff understands responsibilities, develop and implement training programs to advance individual professional development, and ensure Finance Department activities align with and support organizational goals and objectives.
- Partner with the CFO in strengthening internal communications concerning financial operations with staff at all levels throughout the organization; create and promote a positive and supportive work environment in service of institutional mission and objectives.
Qualified Applicants Possess:
· Background in non-profit finance operations; experience in the arts preferred.
· 7+ years of related experience in a similar role including the management of a team.
· Ability to effectively lead a team and delegate responsibilities in a collaborative, collegial manner.
· High proficiency with Excel, and knowledge of accounting software systems.
· Knowledge of the requirements associated with non-profit fund accounting and audit compliance.
· Knowledge of GAAP.
· Ability to teach others financial processes and systems.
· Possess meticulous attention to detail and problem-solving skills.
· Ability to uphold department and organization standards while fulfilling requests in a timely manner.
· Ability to multi-task and stay on an even keel in fast-paced theater environment.
· Ability to remain calm under pressure and communicate effectively and efficiently.
· Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business preferred, although not required.
Email your resume as a pdf to Jobs@NYCityCenter.org and label email with Controller in the subject line. In the body of the email, please be sure that your cover letter addresses the following:
Why working at City Center in this position appeals to you.
How your previous experience makes you the best candidate for this job.
City Center is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in performing arts administration are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status. This is an Exempt position according to the Fair Labor Standards Act.
APPLY BY EMAILSend e-mail to Jobs...
*NOTE: Do not copy/paste the above email address as it is encoded with SPAM protection. Just click it to initiate an email from your preferred email client.