The Public Theater
New York, NY 10003
The Public Theater Costume Shop is in search of theatrical drapers from January – August 2018. This has the potential of becoming a full time position.
The primary responsibility of the Draper is the creation of costumes; interpretation of original design work and custom patterning based on the design, and all facets of the construction process for the costumes as well as alterations, fittings and maintenance of pulled or rented clothing items.
The Draper works with the Costume Shop Manager and Costume Shop Foreman to meet construction and fitting deadlines; may assist in other costume production areas as directed by the needs of the production.
Examples of Duties:
· Discusses assigned projects with Designer, Costume Shop Manager, and Costume Shop Foreman.
· Serves as a communication link for designers, Costume Shop Manager, and Costume Shop Foreman.
· Calculates yardage estimates and needs (notions, zippers, etc.) for each costume.
· Instructs the stitchers on the accurate construction of the costumes.
· Performs drafting or draping of costume pieces for rendered designs.
· Tailors or alters costumes, as needed.
· Supervises and/or attends fittings of constructed costumes.
· Maintains a safe, healthy and clean work environment.
· Performs other related work as required.
· Knowledge of textiles and costume history.
· Thorough understanding of the costume design and construction processes.
· Specialized training or experience with tailoring, altering and original pattern creation.
· Strong organizational skills.
· Ability to work productively under time pressures and meet deadlines.
· Excellent communication skills – written, oral, visual.
· 2-4 years of experience in a similar position required.