Soho Repertory Theatre
New York, NY 10013
Soho Rep. seeks creative and enthusiastic individual to join our team as Development Associate. The Development Associate will be an important team member who helps Soho Rep. build an engaged and generous family of supporters. They/ she/ he will report to the Director of Development, and work closely with the Executive Director and outside fundraising consultants Advance NYC.
Soho Rep. is an award-winning off-Broadway theater that is known for producing and developing ambitious, socially relevant, cutting-edge new work by writers like César Alvarez, Alice Birch, Christopher Chen, Jackie Sibblies Drury, debbie tucker green, Aleshea Harris, Lucas Hnath, Branden Jacobs-Jenkins, Daniel Alexander Jones, Hansol Jung, Kate Tarker and Young Jean Lee. We strive to make our administrative office reflect the values of our onstage work and share a commitment to high standards, innovation, and collaboration. For more information about Soho Rep. please visit sohorep.org.
Soho Rep.’s staff and Board has recently adopted a strategic plan for the next 3 years which focuses on increasing the number of shows we produce annually while simultaneously strengthening our reputation as a vital civic institution. The new Development Associate will play a major role in achieving these goals, and now is a wonderful time for a dedicated person who wants to begin a career in fundraising to join our theater.
This is a full-time position with a starting salary of $51,000 plus occasional overtime. (Some night and weekend availability will be required throughout the season.) Benefits include health, dental and life insurance, a generous vacation policy, and TransitCheck plans. The Development Associate will also receive professional development including database training and coaching with Advance NYC. Her/ their/ his approximate start date will be March 2020.
The Development Associate’s daily tasks will include a mix of responsibilities related to database management, event planning, individual giving, and grant management. However, this is a position designed for a newer fundraiser, and it is not expected that the successful candidate will have prior experience in all of these areas.
· Organize and maintain Soho Rep.’s fundraising database and utilize database to help improve strategies for donor acquisition, engagement and renewal;
· Manage two annual direct mail appeals and ongoing email campaigns;
· Manage and grow the “Dot Project”, Soho Rep.’s membership program for donors at the $100-$1,999 level
· Plan and execute show-related cultivation and donor events including opening and closing nights, pre-show dinners, and post-show cocktail parties.
· Assist with the annual spring Gala, the organization’s largest fundraising event of the year
· Steward institutional partners at the $1,000 - $15,000 level and support grant application processes
· Assist Board members with ticketing and other needs, and assist with preparation for Board meetings throughout the year
The ideal candidate will be:
· Someone with at least 1-2 years work experience: in a nonprofit or other office environment; telemarketing or box office sales; customer service; event planning; or other relevant background;
· A creative thinker with strong verbal and written communication skills;
· A detail-oriented multi-tasker who can drive forward projects on their own;
· A people person who enjoys building and maintaining meaningful relationships and who can be a passionate advocate for Soho Rep.’s work.
Soho Rep. makes theater that strives to create radical empathy between people. We strongly believe that radical and empathetic work can only be made in an equitable and inclusive work environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status. We strongly encourage candidates of color and transgender or non-binary candidates to apply.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Indicate “Development Associate” in the subject line of your email. In your cover letter, please describe your interest and experience in fundraising and/or nonprofit administration and specific reasons for wanting to work at Soho Rep.
March 1, 2020 -