The Play Company is accepting applications for its Fall 2019 Internship Program in the area of Development. Our Internships offer excellent opportunities for emerging arts professionals to gain practical, hands-on experience in a professional and inclusive theatre setting. With mentoring from our staff, interns will collaborate on a diverse array of projects, and our goal is to provide tools & resources that enable interns to grow into qualified professionals in the field.
This internship plays a pivotal role in the fundraising management of our company. Reporting to the Managing Director and Development Assistant, the Development Intern will work closely with our Development staff on donor relationships and correspondence, the annual campaign, and grant proposals and reports. The Intern will actively manage several components of our upcoming Fall Benefit, scheduled for October 23, 2019.
About The Play Company:
- Responsibilities include: Maintain organized database entries of annual donations and grant awards.
- Assist the Development staff in the planning and execution of Special Events.
- Assist in the creation of content for upcoming fundraising campaigns and grant proposals.
- Conduct research on potential funding opportunities.
- General administrative & office duties.
- Assist staff as needed.
- Qualifications for ideal Internship applicants: Knowledge of the performing arts industry.
- Reliable and detail-oriented.
- Superior time-management and organizational skills.
- Excellent writing & communication skills.
- Proclivity for creative and strategic problem solving.
- Ability to work both autonomously and as a team player required.
The Play Company, PlayCo, is an OBIE Award-winning Off Broadway theatre production company. Now in its nineteenth season, PlayCo develops and produces adventurous new plays from the U.S. and around the world to engage New Yorkers in a dynamic global experience of contemporary theatre, and expand the American theatre repertoire.
As the only New York theatre regularly producing outstanding contemporary plays from abroad alongside new American work, PlayCo’s distinctive international programming links American theatre with world theatre, American artists with the global creative community, and American audiences with a whole world of plays.
Time Commitments & Stipend:
- PlayCo fosters a positive learning environment for interns and invests in systems to ensure your experience will yield invaluable experience and skills across all disciplines. We afford interns the following opportunities.Monthly check-ins with your dedicated supervisor to create and assess learning goals, work plans, challenges, successes, and discuss any other aspects of your internship. Dedicated time with all staff members outside your area (i.e. marketing intern will sit down with the Director of Producing) to create a holistic perspective on creating professional theatre.
- Most internships will offer training in systems crucial to your discipline. (i.e. the producing internship will learn or bolster existing skills in Quickbooks).
- Monthly check-ins with the full intern cohort and intern coordinator to share experiences, troubleshoot challenges, and foster new professional relationships with your peers.
- Dedicated projects in your area to provide a meaningful experience that will bolster your resume for future opportunities.
The Internship Program will begin at or near the start of each school semester, including summer. Start and end dates are flexible. We ask for a minimum commitment of 20 hours/week for all internships. Weekly schedules are flexible to navigate class schedules and other employment.
PlayCo offers a monthly travel stipend by pre-purchasing an unlimited monthly MetroCard for all interns who commit to a minimum of 20 hours/week. Academic credit is also available where applicable.
Please send a cover letter and resume to Joey Nasta, Development Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please specify your area of interest as Development.
The Play Company is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion at all levels: on our stage, in our audience, on our staff, and within our leadership. We strongly encourage candidates of color and from under-represented communities to apply.
We are also accepting applications for future semesters for applicants pursuing internships in advance.
September 3, 2019 - December 20, 2019