Long Wharf Theatre
New Haven, CT 06511
Position: Director of Marketing and Communications
Direct Reports: Associate Director of Marketing, Graphics Director, Database Administrator, Group Sales Coordinator
Reports To: Managing Director
Classification: Full-Time, Exempt
Long Wharf Theatre is about to embark on an unprecedented journey, where art and activism will live side-by-side. We are committed to building a boundary-breaking theatre with, for, and by the New Haven community. We are looking for an innovative and dynamic Director of Marketing & Communications to join our growing community, as we work in partnership to reimagine the experiment that is the American Theater.
Reporting to and working closely with Managing Director Kit Ingui, the Director of Marketing & Communications will ensure that all advertising campaigns, messaging, and materials fully represent the mission, vision, and values of Long Wharf Theatre. They will speak with the voice of New Haven and have faculty for representing that voice in all outward facing communication. They will be a bridge builder, creating pathways to communities that have not been represented in our audiences and amplifying Long Wharf’s goal of radical inclusion in all marketing materials, social media platforms and press strategies. They will be the central hub of communication for all marketing matters, while facilitating marketing needs across all departments. Guided by the core pillars of artistic innovation, radical inclusion, and meaningful connection, the Director of Marketing & Communications will be a key member of the senior leadership team and serve as a thought-partner to both the Managing and Artistic Directors.
As the company enters a new era, the Director of Marketing & Communications will provide focused and strategic leadership that is grounded in rigor, curiosity, and joy. They will also be instrumental in supporting the theater’s work in all areas of inclusion and anti-racism; a nuanced understanding of this work with demonstrated leadership will be essential. Long Wharf Theatre is looking to build a boundary-breaking future and is seeking a dynamic marketing director to help make this a reality.
· To oversee the organization’s earned revenue generating activities.
· To supervise all areas of daily marketing department operations.
· To work with the Managing Director in preparing annual income goals for earned revenue opportunities.
· To prepare and manage expense budgets for all ticket sales campaigns, institutional marketing, and other related expenses.
· To create and implement the annual public relations plan for the theatre, including relationships and strategies for increased regional and national media coverage.
· To work with the Director of Philanthropic Engagement to ensure necessary support for Long Wharf Theatre’s fundraising initiatives.
· To provide strategic marketing and public relations support for all education and community partnership programs.
· To oversee and analyze regular market research of Long Wharf Theatre audience members to assess audience satisfaction, understand demographic and psychographic profiles, and hone tactics for increasing audience size and market footprint.
· To supervise and coach the Group Sales Coordinator to achieve revenue goals.
· To oversee the Box Office and Front of House team to ensure that the highest level of customer service is delivered during all moments of the patron experience.
· To represent the voice of Long Wharf Theatre to the press as deemed appropriate by the Managing and Artistic Directors.
The Expertise Needed:
· Proven leadership experience in the field of marketing, with increasing responsibilities over career.
· A commitment to collaborative leadership with a robust understanding of organizational culture and change management.
· A commitment to life-long learning, with a healthy disregard for the status quo and a relentless curiosity.
· Strong written and verbal communications skills.
· Experience in interpreting statistical data.
Salary range is $75k - $90k, plus benefits.
Position is available immediately. To apply, please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Marketing and Communications” in the subject line. Deadline to apply is Monday, November 25, 2019. People of color are strongly encouraged to apply.