Round House Theatre
Silver Spring, MD 20910
Round House Theatre seeks a strategic thinker, marketer and leader to serve as Director of Marketing and Communications. The Director will create, develop, and execute both short-term and long-term strategic marketing plans to develop and grow an annual audience of more than 40,000, and ticket revenue in excess of $1.5 million. Reporting to the Managing Director, the Director of Marketing and Communications serves as a key member of the theatre’s senior management team. This is a great opportunity for a talented and ambitious leader advancing in the field of arts marketing.
Round House Theatre, dubbed “the current meteor in DC theatre,” by Peter Marks of The Washington Post is one of the “Big Six” professional theatres in the Washington, DC area. A nonprofit professional LORT theatre with an annual budget of more than $5.5 million located in suburban Washington, DC (Bethesda and Silver Spring, MD), Round House Theatre is a home for outstanding ensemble acting and lifelong learning that seeks to captivate audiences with stories that inspire compassion, evoke emotions, and demand conversation. With a growing subscriber base, and having just completed the best-attended and highest-grossing seasons in its history, Round House produces a six-show season of new plays, modern classics, and musicals for 40,000 patrons each year at its 395-seat theatre in Bethesda in addition to providing educational programs for 4,000 students of all ages at its six-classroom Education Center in Silver Spring, in schools throughout Montgomery County, and at the Bethesda theatre. In the near future, Round House is preparing to carry out new initiatives, including an ambitious capital campaign, renovations, and off-site programming.
Purpose of Position
The Director of Marketing and Communications is directly responsible for Round House’s marketing, branding, public relations, sales, front of house operations, customer service, and earned revenue generation. Specifically, the director:
· develops and administers the theatre’s subscription and single show sales campaigns activities, identifying, cultivating, attracting, stewarding, and retaining audiences from year to year;
· maximizes sales and revenue through yield management and pricing, database marketing, direct mail, telemarketing, e-commerce, media planning, and new media.
· directly manages the activities of five full-time staff members, including the Associate Director of Marketing and Communications, Director of Audience Services, Box Office Manager, Graphic Designer, and Digital Marketing Associate, as well as a Marketing Apprentice;
· coordinates with outside vendors, organizational partners, and peers within the local theatre community to achieve Round House’s audience development objectives;
· serves as a member of the Round House management team, working with the Artistic Director, Managing Director, and senior staff as well as the Board of Trustees and other volunteers.
The Director of Marketing and Communications reports to the Managing Director, and supervises the Marketing Department, Box Office and Front of House, which includes full-time staff, part-time employees, and an engaged volunteer corps of ushers.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Conceive and execute robust subscription and single ticket campaigns to meet or exceed approved goals
o Develop and oversee all sales and marketing strategies, including direct marketing, media planning and placement, and e-commerce
o Project and budget subscription and single ticket revenues based on historical sales trends; set and manage pricing; maximize revenue by implementing dynamic pricing strategies in coordination with overall organizational goals
o Execute innovate audience development strategies with a focus on increasing patron loyalty, maximizing revenue and increasing audience diversity. Pricing: model future sales to make single ticket and subscription price recommendations,
o Develop reporting and analytics to generate key sales, financial, and statistical analyses to effectively track sales and financial performance
· Develop and carry out a comprehensive communications strategy and plan to achieve organizational goals for branding, public relations, sales, and community awareness
o Create, manage, and cultivate Round House’s brand in local and national markets
o Oversee and guide graphic design and publications content to reflect Round House’s brand identity
o Maintain and improve website and online ticketing functionalities
· Lead and oversee Round House’s main interactions with its customers to ensure the highest-quality customer service and satisfaction
o Oversee all box office, ticketing, front of house, and all retail and concessions operations
· Supervise the Marketing staff, ensuring that their work serves the mission of the theatre in an efficient, effective, and productive fashion.
· Serve as a member of the management team, guiding and monitoring plans and goals of the organization
· Work closely with Development and Education departments to maximize organizational revenue by administering, coordinating, and executing sales and marketing strategies for Development and Education programs.
· Administer and coordinate a range of departmental activities
o Budget: maintain department’s budget by tracking expenses in ledger and accounting software
o Develop social media strategy
o Create and monitor all departmental budgets
o Conduct and organize research
Preferred candidate will demonstrate:
· Record of achievement and growth in arts or event marketing.
· Demonstrated management and leadership skills.
· Evidence of maturity, drive, and enthusiasm.
· Capacity for strategic thinking in a deadline-driven, multi-task environment.
· Superlative communication skills, especially in writing.
· Strong analytical abilities, intellectual curiosity, and unwavering interest in detail.
· Proficiency in digital media best practices (social, SEO, display, etc.).
· Experience with MS Word products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, others).
· Love of theatre.
AN EXCEPTIONAL OPPORTUNITY
Round House offers a competitive salary and full benefits including fully paid health and dental insurance, a 403B retirement plan with matching contributions, and paid vacation and sick leave. Round House also offers a diverse, congenial, supportive environment conducive to professional growth. Position available ASAP. Qualified candidates are invited to submit a cover letter and a resume without delay. Round House is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Persons from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Robert Sweibel Arts & Culture Consulting is conducting this search on behalf of Round House Theatre. Interested candidates are invited to submit a cover letter, resume and salary range requirements, electronically and in confidence, as detailed separately. A review of prospective candidates will commence immediately and continue until the position is filled. Candidates of interest will be contacted. We regret that we’re unable to follow up with every candidate. No phone calls, please.