Arlington, VA 22202
Department: Sales & Audience Experience
Reports to: Managing Director
Type: Full-time, exempt
The Director of Sales & Audience Experience designs and manages all Front of House and Sales operations—including for the box office, concessions, house management, group sales, education registration, parking and wayfinding, and all sales pathways—to ensure audience growth and earned revenue goals are met and that all audiences enjoy their interactions with Synetic Theater.
Towards those ends, the Director plans and leads execution of a variety of customer service, sales, and administrative duties related to ticket sales and fulfillment, third-party seller liasing, subscription acquisition and renewal, facilities, special events, procurement, money and sales management, volunteer management, reporting and audience analysis, inbound and outbound group sales, and audience development. To achieve these goals, the Director manages the Front of House team and a part-time Audience Experience Associate, partners with the rest of the senior staff, and advises leadership.
Audience Experience and Front of House (45%)
· Design and drive initiatives to improve and steward audience experience, from point of sale to thank you email.
· Responsible for the planning and effective execution of all ticketing and class registration operations, including: the point of sale programming and administration of events, packages, seating, pricing, and inventory management; and the processing, printing, and distribution of all tickets including those sold through third-party sources.
· Responsible for the planning and effective execution of all front of house operations, including concessions program design and management, cash handling and management, wayfinding, house management, signage/inserts, and staffing to create a positive and safe customer experience
· Develop, continually improve, and document box office policies and procedures, and ensures front of house staff compliance with these policies and procedures
· Ensure timely and helpful response to patron correspondence
· Establish and maintain all sales channels for all production and education programs, including, phone, web, direct mail, box office, and third-party sellers.
· Partner with marketing team to ensure earned revenue goals are met by setting and maintaining pricing strategy, planning and coordinating subscription campaign, and executing outbound and inbound group sales.
· Manage and administer CRM system to ensure clean data, smooth sales experiences, effective reporting, and integrated customer relationship management.
Departmental Oversight (10%)
· Hire, train, schedule, and manage front of house staff to service all presentations and events with exemplary customer service and salespersonship.
· Create and maintain annual budget for Sales and Audience Experience department.
· Build and nurture a sales and customer service culture within the Sales and Audience Experience team and across the organization.
· 4+ years of professional manager-level customer service and sales experience in a performing arts setting preferred; experience leading teams strongly preferred; minimum of two years live-event front of house experience is required.
· Highly organized, motivated self-starter who can multitask and prioritize.
· Excellent organizational, communication, and analytical skills.
· Flexible, dependable, and results-oriented, and have a positive attitude.
· Able to facilitate a collaborative, solutions-oriented work environment.
· Deal effectively, kindly, and professionally with all patron needs and customer service issues.
· Delegate responsibilities as appropriate and able to oversee a staff with differing skills, experience, and abilities.
· Proficiency with CRM systems, G Suite, Word, and Excel.
· Position requires occasional lifting of heavy boxes and retail merchandise as well as the daily use of a computer and other electronic equipment.
· Position requires working frequent nights and weekends according to the performance schedule in order to ensure smooth operations, though there is not the expectation that this role would work every performance.
Low/mid $40Ks, commensurate with experience, including a comprehensive benefits package (medical, dental, vision, 401K, short-term disability and generous PTO)
How to Apply
Email cover letter and résumé with subject line “Director of Sales & Audience Experience” to: firstname.lastname@example.org, Attn: Jason Najjoum, Managing Director
Applications accepted until role is filled. Interviews begin immediately. Preferred start date: December 2019
Synetic Theater is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Synetic Theater discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Interviews will not be scheduled until we have a diverse pool of candidates from which to select.
About Synetic Theater
Founded in 1996 by Georgian immigrant visionaries Paata and Irina Tsikurishvili, Synetic Theater is a center for American Physical Theater, fusing dynamic art forms-such as text, drama, movement, acrobatics, dance, and original music, investing in artists’ growth, and creating unforgettable visceral experiences for every audience. On stage, highly athletic actors who have completed strenuous physical theater training explore the human experience in classic stories through movement, dialogue, music, and sound effects in a five-show season. In the studio, Synetic strives to build the creators and audiences of tomorrow by fostering the artistic interests and overall development of children and teens through acting, expressive movement, and dance. In schools, libraries and beyond, Synetic builds livability and community through free and affordable performances and workshops for all ages, including residents of diverse learning, mobility, and sensory needs. Synetic has earned international acclaim, having received 123 Helen Hayes Award nominations and 30 Awards including for directing, choreography, acting, costume design, and best play, and touring internationally to sold-out houses.
Since 2011, Synetic Theater has called Crystal City home, welcoming over 30,000 patrons annually. Jason Najjoum recently joined the leadership team as Managing Director. He brings a decade of arts management experience, advanced training, and a vision to create Synetic’s thriving future. Together with the staff and board, Synetic is revitalizing its commitment to fostering artists and administrators, and dazzling audiences and arts students.
December 15, 2019 -