The Count Basie Center for the Arts, in the ever-growing and beautiful downtown Red Bank, New Jersey, is seeking a highly motivated and experienced individual to support the organization’s education efforts. This opportunity comes at a time of unparalleled growth for the Basie Center, as it is in the midst of an exciting, $27 million capital expansion to transform the historic theater into a city block-long creative campus.
The Count Basie Center’s Education Department administers a Performing Arts Academy of tuition based classes and workshops on site as well as an increasing number of outreach and professional development programs with the local schools in the region.
Under the direction of the Vice President of Education and the general direction of the Director of Education, the Education Associate will be a full-time position, split between support of the growing Count Basie Center Department of Education and teaching education & outreach classes. The candidate selected for this position will be involved with the administrative support of performing arts programs, the Basie’s Monmouth Conservatory, and will demonstrate a can-do attitude with a passion for arts and arts education.
- REQUIREMENTS & SKILLS: Bachelor Degree required
- Professional background in one of the following areas a plus: Education, Arts, Arts Administration, Communications
- The ideal candidate will have previous Teaching Artist experience, and a background/experience in the field of education and/or arts administration
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work with staff at all levels, and interact with patrons, students, teachers, and parents
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with a high emphasis on customer service
- Detail oriented, self-starter, with strong organizational and time management skills with the ability to multi-task and perform job responsibilities with minimal supervision
- Must be a team player and be able to work in a fast-paced environment and across departments
- Strong skills in database management and all Microsoft Office Suite products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook)
- Strong work ethic, creative and proactive thinking and a positive attitude are a plus
- The key responsibilities of the Education Associate position are as follows: Be the advance person for Basie’s Monmouth Conservatory, taking registrations, assigning classrooms, and supporting the teaching staff and director as needed.
- Teach relevant and applicable Performing Arts Academy classes/camps, and select outreach classes for existing Basie programs.
- Learn all administrative duties performed by the Education Assistant (supporting the registration process and software, managing calendars and class schedules, classroom set up and interfacing with parents and students).
- Take on major administration role and assisting in larger performance programs (i.e. Summer Opera, Junior Productions, etc.).
- As a member of the Education Department, assist as required during theatre events such as the Basie Awards, Teen + College Film Fest, performing arts classes, performances and showcases and more.
- Must be available for special events, nights and weekends as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Applicants should forward a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and list of references to: Samantha Giustiniani, Director of Education & Outreach at: SGiustiniani@thebasie.org