The Barrow Group
New York, NY 10018
The Barrow Group was founded in 1986 by an ensemble of actors and directors, all of whom shared a desire to produce meaningful plays using a highly naturalistic, intimate mode of performance. Since that time, TBG has developed and/or produced over 150 shows, including Martin Moran’s The Tricky Part (2004 Obie Award and two Drama Desk nominations), Jon Marans’ The Temperamentals (2009 Drama Desk Award), Mike Birbiglia’s My Girlfriend’s Boyfriend (2011 Lucille Lortel Award), David Edgar’s Pentecost (2013 Drama Desk nomination), and Martin Moran’s All the Rage (2013 Lucille Lortel Award). In 2005, TBG received a Drama Desk Award for Off-off-Broadway Excellence.
TBG’s core programming consists of 1) its annual Mainstage Season, 2) the Developmental Wing (where new works are introduced to the organization and then nurtured via readings and short workshops), and 3) Performing Arts Classes for professionals and beginners (acting, directing, and playwriting).
TBG’s Mainstage Season is produced in its 99-seat theatre, with an emphasis on work that engages artists and audiences alike through a realistic performance style.
TBG’s Developmental Wing is part of its ongoing support of new works. This programming is free for artists to participate in and includes: FAB Women; Artist Performance Residencies; First Fridays; and in-house readings.
TBG’s Training Programming reaches over 4,000 students each year. Our youth program serves students 5 to 17 years-old with classes in scene study, improv, musical theatre, playwriting, and on-camera acting. Our adult program serves both beginners and professionals with classes in movement, voice, stage combat, script analysis, solo show development, on-camera acting, filmmaking, scene study, monologue, and clowning.
TBG is seeking a highly organized and highly collaborative professional to serve as Executive Assistant to be shared by the Co-Artistic Directors (Co-AD’s) and Executive Director (ED). Core responsibilities will include managing the Co-AD’s and ED’s office and schedule, anticipating and responding to the needs of the Co-AD’s and ED’s, and helping coordinate and support the fundraising and Capital Campaign efforts of this growing organization. The ideal candidate is passionate about TBG’s mission, energetic, extremely detail oriented, thrives in a fast-paced environment, and has strong interpersonal skills along with excellent written and verbal communication skills. This role requires a great deal of discretion and professionalism, excellent judgment, and a commitment to ongoing learning and improvement.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· Oversee the office of the Co-Artistic Directors & Executive Director including managing the calendar, scheduling and confirming appointments, and coordinating travel arrangements when necessary
· Manage all incoming calls and visitors to the Co-Artistic Directors & Executive Director’s office and ensure appropriate follow-up to requests
· Support the Co-Artistic Directors & Executive Director in managing email inbox, draft correspondence with external constituents, and document key correspondence in donor database
· Partner with the Capital Campaign team to support the Co-Artistic Directors & Executive Director’s fundraising work: attend staff and departmental meetings, coordinate meetings with donors and prospects, and support the Co-Artistic Directors & Executive Director with preparation for, during and following up from solicitation meetings and events (to be coordinated with Capital Campaign Consultants)
· Provide support in preparation and execution of board meetings
· Take, transcribe, and disseminate meeting notes
· Assist in preparation / distribution of agenda for staff meetings
· Collaborate with staff to coordinate Co-Artistic Directors & Executive Director’s public-facing engagements
· Prepare Co-Artistic Directors & Executive Director’s expense reports and reimbursements in a timely fashion
· Assist with special projects in collaboration with the Co-Artistic Directors & Executive Director’s
· Schedule external meetings with support from Capital Campaign Consultants, as required
· Work with the TBG Board of Directors to schedule committee and Board meetings
· Work with the Real Estate Project Team on scheduling and meeting minutes as required
· Passion for The Barrow Group’s mission and values
· Relevant or transferable work experience
· Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, Dropbox, Googledocs, and PowerPoint
· Proficient with Google Calendar platform
· Previous experience in the nonprofit sector and specifically the performing arts a plus
· Ability to work occasional late evenings and weekends
· Impeccable professionalism with meticulous attention to detail
· Highly organized and comfortable working in a fast-paced, growing organization, including flexibility to simultaneously perform a wide variety of tasks
· Excellent written and verbal interpersonal communication skills
· Collaborative and flexible work style with the ability to work under tight deadlines and shifting priorities
· Motivated self-starter capable of working independently and in a team environment
· Ability to exercise independent judgement, problem solving, and discretion
· High level of professionalism with the ability to maintain sensitive and confidential information
The Barrow Group is an equal opportunity employer. Immigrants, people of color, formerly ultra-Orthodox individuals, LGBTQIA people, people with disabilities, and people who come from poor and working-class backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. The Barrow Group does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Starting Salary Range: $35,000-$40,000, plus a generous benefits package commensurate with experience
How to Apply
For immediate consideration, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate your name and “Executive Assistant” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
We thank you for your interest in career opportunities with The Barrow Group. Due to high volume, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Barrow Group (https://www.barrowgroup.org/)