Signature Theatre Company
New York, NY 10036
FRONT OF HOUSE MANAGER
Signature Theatre, one of New York's leading off-Broadway theatres, is seeking a Front of House Manager.
Founded in 1991, Signature Theatre celebrates playwrights and gives them an artistic home, producing six to eight productions annually. In 2005 Signature began its groundbreaking Signature Ticket Initiative, providing affordable tickets to all of its productions. In 2012, Signature opened the Pershing Square Signature Center, the Frank Gehry-designed 75,000 square foot Center featuring three theatres, two rehearsal studios, a central, public lobby with a café and bookstore, as well as administrative offices. The Center is also home to both short and long-term rental productions and events.
Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, age, protected veteran status, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation.
The Front of House Manager serves as a Lobby Captain for the theatre’s public spaces. This part-time position reports to the Associate Director of Audience Services and Senior Front of House Manager and is an integral part of introducing and maintaining the culture of The Pershing Square Signature Center to Signature’s subscribers, general audiences and interested visitors.
The part-time hours for this position include nights, weekends and holidays with some additional daytime attendance necessary for periodic meetings.
Responsibilities and Duties
• Monitoring lobby traffic and reporting and responding quickly to issues, inclusive but not limited to security, custodial, lighting, sound and space management
• Overseeing the flow of traffic in the lobby, making sure guests are engaged and using facilities as they have been designed to be used
• Ensuring the public space is welcoming to all visitors
• Orchestrating the delivery of instructions and information to the public in a clear and friendly way
• Responsible for the set-up, storage and care of front of house equipment for performances, as well as events planned by Signature Theatre and rental clients
• Working closely with House Managers to troubleshoot all ticket problems and patron complaints
• Assisting with special projects as needed
• Oversee front of house greeters
• Scheduling volunteer ushers
• Keep management informed of trends and tendencies of the crowds visiting the space
• Way finding strategy and management
• Thorough knowledge of Signature’s emergency preparedness and evacuation procedures as they relate to all persons within the venue
Qualifications and Requirements
· Experience with or enthusiasm for interacting with the public
· Exemplary customer service and communication skills
· Abilities to creatively problem solve and anticipate needs
· Experience with a performance venue, restaurant or large public retail space a plus
· Positive outlook with a demonstrated ability to work effectively both formally and informally amongst a diversity of communities and cultures
Preference is given to candidates who have demonstrable experience advocating for equity, diversity, and inclusion. Please email cover letter and resume with references to email@example.com. Please include “Front of House Manager” in the subject line.
Signature Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
No phone calls, please. For more information about Signature, visit: www.signaturetheatre.org.