The Public Theater
New York, NY 10003
The Public has produced shows at the Delacorte Theater and its downtown home on Lafayette Street since the 1960s and currently produces a full season of shows year-round including classics, musicals, and new works. The building at 425 Lafayette is a landmark that was initially constructed beginning in 1850 as New York City’s first free public library, and the Delacorte Theater has welcomed over 5 million people to its free Shakespeare in the Park performances.
The Operations Department, responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of both venues as well as tracking building activity and coordinating department work around production needs, is seeking seasonal overhire Gate Attendants for the Delacorte Theater to provide exceptional customer service and security support.
· Greet guests/patrons & relay information relating to upcoming programs/events/general Central Park knowledge, upholding the highest standard of customer service.
· Accept/Track deliveries (UPS, USPS, production vendors, catering deliveries, etc.)
· Answer phone calls relating to deliveries, directions, and trucking alerts
· Ensure security standards are upheld via ID checks and/or monitoring of foot traffic. (Note: This position, while upholding security standards, is not a secuity guard. Security Guards are a separate position at the Delacorte Theater.)
· Serve as the point of contact for Public Theater staff on behalf of the Operations Department, relaying building maintenance and other requests to the Operations Associate or Operations Assistants
· Potential for shifts as golf cart driver for Opening Nights, Gala, Special Events, etc.
· Perform additional duties, as assigned
Shifts and Scheduling:
· Shifts are broken into 4-6 hours increments spanning from 7a-11p.
· The scheduling system is put in place to work with the schedule of our employees, allowing for flexibility.
· Employees will be required to fulfill a minimum amount of hours per week.
The ideal candidate has an interest in theatre and previous experience in theatre production or administration, and is organized, detail-oriented, a good communicator, and has a positive attitude. Must be comfortable working outdoors in the various elements and must feel confident co-existing with wildlife.
The Public is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.
This is a temporary, overhire, Non-Exempt position, according to the Fair Labor Standards Act. Rate is $15/hr. We will be accepting submissions through February 28, 2019. Prospective candidates will be notified by March 1, 2019 to schedule an interview. No phone calls please.
Please send resume and cover letter to Ryan James Monroe at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Gate Attendant” in the subject line.