Hangmen Broadway LLP
New York, NY
Call Type: EPA
By Martin McDonagh
Directed by: Matthew Dunster
Producers: Robert Fox, Jean Doumanian and Elizabeth I. McCann
Casting: Telsey + Company
Casting Directors expected in attendance:
Adam Caldwell, Amelia McCarthy, Destiny Lilly, Karyn Casl, Madison Sylvester, Will Cantler.
First Rehearsal: on or about February 3, 2020
First Preview: February 28, 2020
Opening: March 19, 2020
EPA Procedures are in effect for this audition.
An Equity Monitor will be provided.
Equity’s contracts prohibit discrimination. Equity is committed to diversity and encourages all its employers to engage in a policy of equal employment opportunity designed to promote a positive model of inclusion. As such, Equity encourages performers of all ethnicities, gender identities, and ages, as well as performers with disabilities, to attend every audition.
Always bring your Equity Membership card to auditions.
Equity actors for roles and understudies. See breakdown for info. Note: roles have offers pending.
PSM and ASM positions available. See separate notice on casting call for info.
The play takes place in the North of England. All characters are from there unless otherwise specified.
Seeking the following roles (below indicates role availability) and 4 understudies to cover all roles:
- 50’s to 60’s. Northern. The central character of the play. With his wife he runs the pub where the action takes place and is also a local celebrity, being the chief hangman on the day hanging is abolished. He is a bluff, blunt and proud Northerner. By turns aggressive, but ultimately insecure. Must have a good Northern accent. OFFER PENDING.
- 20’s. From London or thereabouts. Applies for a room in Alice’s pub and has taken to Shirley. Shy with an odd sense of humor and somewhat mysterious. OFFER PENDING.
- 50’s. Harry’s assistant. Northern, he is somewhat inept at his job and stutters when he’s stressed. Craftier than he appears. Must have a good Northern accent. OFFER PENDING.
– 50’s. Northern. The landlady. Alice runs the pub with her husband Harry. She's a proud northern woman who gives as good as she gets. Her attempts to bond with her teenage daughter Shirley are not as gentle or kind as she thinks they are. Sometimes her emotions overwhelm her, and she's fond of a gin or two to calm the nerves. Must have a good Northern accent. OFFER PENDING.
- (actress 18+ to play) 15. The teenage daughter of the publicans. She is plain, northern and very moody. She is written as plump but could be an actress of any sizes. Seeking actress 18+ who can play 15. Must have a good Northern accent. OFFER PENDING.
- 20. Northern. Young. Sly. Out of his depth. Clegg is a cub reporter who has come to interview Harry about his role as a hangman and his thoughts on the abolition of hanging. He is gentle and inexperienced, but with a little help finds his journalistic side. He is teased for his baby-face. Must have a good Northern accent. OFFER PENDING.
- 50's. Northern. Police inspector. Physically intimidating - high status. Loner. Weak deep down. Also plays a GUARD. Must have a good Northern accent. OFFER PENDING.
- 60 to 75. Northern. Arthur is a regular at the bar. Deaf and slow on the uptake, he spends a lot of his time having jokes repeated and explained to him, and then laughing despite everyone else having moved on. Dry, deadpan and tactless. Also plays the GOVENOR. Must have a good Northern accent. OFFER PENDING.
- late 30’s to early 50’s. Northern. The mediator between others in the group. Engages by laughingly repeating what the others say. Also plays a GUARD. Must have a good Northern accent. OFFER PENDING.
- Late 30’s to early 50’s. Northern. The pub's innocent. Alcoholic. Also plays the DOCTOR. Must have a good Northern accent. OFFER PENDING.
– 60’s. Northern. High Status. Very, very smartly dressed. Quick witted. Dangerous and Harry's nemesis. He shows up at the pub at the most inopportune moment and takes command. He is a charismatic and dominating presence, putting Harry in his place. Must have a good Northern accent. OFFER PENDING.
- 20’s. Cocky. Cheeky. Emotional. Cockney/London. Hennessy is a young man in jail waiting to be hanged. He protests his innocence to the end and has to be physically restrained before he will go to his death. He’s a young wheeler-dealer who finds himself in a lot more trouble than he bargained for. Physically demanding role. Must have a good Cockney accent.
Pearl Studios NYC (500)
500 8th Ave
New York, NY 10018-6504
12th floor. Check lobby upon arrival for any changes.
Wednesday, December 4, 2019
10:00 AM - 6:00 PM
lunch 1:30 to 2:30
Actors will read from sides provided at the EPA. Bring picture and resume.