New Jersey Performing Arts Center
Newark, NJ 07102
Department: Operations/House Management
Reports To: Director of House Management
Status: Exempt – Full Time
Supervises: Head Ushers and Guest Services Staff
(120 part-time members)
The House Manager establishes a welcoming experience for all audience members to the New Jersey Performing Arts Center in a professional, customer first environment. Oversees and coordinates all activities in all of the front of house (FOH) spaces including performances, special events, concessions, and access routes. Manages the paid and volunteer Guest Services Staff in ticket scanning, directing seating, and program distribution. The position has additional administrative duties related to Guest Services. Position requires a flexible schedule aligned with NJPAC’s performance calendar.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Supervise all FOH guest services staff and programs including ushers, ticket takers, scanners, coat check, seating, curbside parking, merchandise counting and reconciliation, program stuffing and distribution for all publicly attended activities.
· Oversee any FOH emergencies including evacuation of patrons.
· Manage staff and union usher corps, both paid and volunteer, including hiring, training, scheduling, compensation and support needs, fulfilling all HR requirements as applicable.
· Assure the preparation and use of all FOH spaces for public access including the staffing of bar/merchandise service, security, housekeeping, production and operational support. Also assure that the public spaces are clean and properly prepared.
· Assist in training, performance standards, work rules and safety requirements
· Manage merchandise sales efforts.
· Maintain NJPAC rules and regulations and compliance with ADA guidelines especially as related to audience safety, access, and comfort.
· Act as evacuation marshall for performance and other events, supervising and coordinating Head Ushers and Security.
· Assist guests and artists in answering special requests and resolve problems as necessary
· Complete all required reports and administrative processes
· Perform related duties as assigned by management.
Qualifications and Special Requirements:
· College degree or equivalent.
· Five (5) years experience with increasing responsibility in theatrical front-of-house operations, preferably in a multi-venue environment or with variable seating experience.
· Excellent patron relations skills.
· Must possess a professional and courteous demeanor for all situations.
· Must maintain a professional appearance at all times.
· Must be able to work nights and weekends as required
· Ability to work creatively on several projects at one time.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Proficient in current rules governed by the Americans with Disabilities Act as they pertain to audience’s access seating and service.
· Experience with ticketmaster ticketing system and scanners helpful
· Union experience a plus.
No phone calls please. Please e-mail résumé, cover letter, and salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org (be sure to note the job title in the subject line of your e-mail). Resumes without salary requirements will not be considered.
We thank you for your interest in working for NJPAC. Once submitted, your résumé will be reviewed, and if your background fits our needs, someone from our office will contact you for an interview.
NJPAC is an Equal Opportunity Employer