Jamaica Center for Arts and Learning
Jamaica, NY 11432
JCAL is seeking a dynamic Lead Teaching Artist and Project Coordinator who, under the supervision of the Associate Director of Education, will lead a newly launched program, called Prescribing the Arts, that aims to demystify mental illness and to enrich the lives of patients through creating and making art. This once-a-week afternoon program is in partnership with Transitional Services for New York (TSINY).
The right candidate, with contagious enthusiasm, creativity and passion, will lead and teach in the program as well as produce a culminating event. S/he is self-initiating and self-motivated; experienced in working with diverse people and programs; possesses excellent coordination and organizational skills; and is flexible, personable and a natural problem-solver who believes in teamwork.
• Provide program participants a fun, safe, and healthy learning environment that encourages participation.
• Supervise participants, and ensure all participants have beneficial and enjoyable experiences.
• Supervise fellow teaching artists and coordinate teaching schedule.
• Design, design and lead fellow teachers for the culminating event.
• Display evidence of teacher preparation, and understanding of appropriate material and approach.
• Understand and exhibit the mission of JCAL.
• Actively participate in designated meetings, training sessions and special events.
• BA/BFA and minimum of two years of music and musical theater training; MA/MFA (or equivalent experience) preferred.
• Minimum five years of experience teaching, preferably in a comparable environment.
• Experience as a musical director for social service, youth or similar populations.
• Excellent classroom management skill.
• Works well with students, exhibiting patience, warmth, passion and respect.
• Enthusiasm for piano, vocals, musical theater, music, movement, and artistic collaboration.
• Excellent people, customer-service and professional networking skills.
This is a part-time seasonal exempt position. Salary is commensurate with experience. JCAL is an Equal Opportunity Employer and committed to the goal of building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from minority candidates. Absolutely no calls.